Solar Tubes...

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by tmgrash, Jan 28, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tmgrash

tmgrash Astrea Snail

Neokid posted his 90gal reef and in that post he said he uses solar tubes for lighting. This sounds like an awesome idea! For those of you that might know, and for you Neokid since you are using them, what are some of the downfalls and drawbacks of this lighting? What happens when you have a week of cloudy weather, etc?

Thanks Travis

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Travis most solar tube aquarium setups I've seen are using them as a supplement to their normal lighting. I don't think I've seen one that is just Solar Tubes. I recall a long solar tube thread on RC and the guy mentioned that one bonus was that he was getting natural moonlight in his tank from time to time. That would be cool.

1 person likes this.
  4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

at a Commercial coral aqua culturing center i work at we have them over a 180 as a see what it does type deal.. Its like 250 w on average and higher in the summer and on real sunny days But even on a little cloudy days it hard to look into them.. But yes you have to have light that you can control.. But they would save you on power somewhat..

1 person likes this.
  5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

6. tmgrash

tmgrash Astrea Snail

Thanks

Thanks guys, this sounds like a good idea for my future "large scale" project for supplemental lighting.

Travis

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Not much to see really and even less to take a pic of. Just a 14inch Diameter highly polished liner in what looks to be a metal double walled chimney like is used on a wood stove or laundry chute . These just hang into the room from the roof with a clear plastic dome and no stove at the base. Sun come out its really bright sun goes in and it darken. It supplies plenty of light when it's sunny.

8. Click Here!

9. andreidr9

andreidr9 Plankton

heres my set up not trying to link to another web site but its the best way to show u guys the whole build thread. im still using the tubes plus two ecoxotic 12w leds thats all. best investment ever
    solar tubes - AzReefs Forums