Solar LED Shed Lights - The future for Aquariums?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Matt Rogers, Aug 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

3reef wonders if the future of LED lighting for the aquarium may be solar. :sunny: There are many solar 'shed' LED lights hitting the market - complete setups with LED lamp and solar panel for less than $100. This 3reefer noted one 24 LED shed light with a 5 hour lamp time before recharge. Not quite where we need it to be but getting there.

Is this the future for aquariums?

[​IMG]
    80 LED Lamp with Solar Panel for less than $100!

24 LED Product Features:•No outside electrical wiring needed•Compass for easy solar panel adjustment•Built in night Light to find switch easily•Low voltage provides safe use and installation•Solar Lighting for all structures•Save money-by using free energy from the sun•Rechargeable Ni-Mh Battery•Voltage: 4 x AA 1.2V•Lamp type: 24 LEDs•Power Source Mono Crystalline Solar Cell•Light Duration Up to 5 hours•Comes with 10' of cable• Solar Panel Base (Mounting Area) 7" High x 6" Wide

Solar Shed Light/Solar Led Shed Light/Solar Light for Shed at EarthTechProducts
    Super Bright Solar Motion-Activated 80 LED Security Floodlight - Solar Motion Light

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. 32Boom

32Boom Coral Banded Shrimp

I was just thinking about something similar to this last night. Maybe it would be more practical if it were supplemented by solar power. That would probably improve the PAR output and make it so it could be on for more than 5 hours/day.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

COol idea. 8)
    How would you do that exactly? Is there a device that goes between the batteries and the solar panel?

5. cement_skis

cement_skis Sea Dragon

Hmmmmm....Ill be the pesimistic one here. Im sure they can justify the price at just $100, seeing as it's just a shed light. However, once the reef lighting companies get a hold of the idea, I doubt it will be close to $100 when they get done doing the "Reef Proofing" BS, which will no doubt turn it into a $1,000 dollar fixture.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Well then we better make it first! :)

7. 32Boom

32Boom Coral Banded Shrimp

I don't know. I'm not the person to make it. 'Just an idea. But if I was going to...

Maybe a voltage detector that would kick in power source B if the voltage dropped below what is needed (cloudy day), or could calculate the gap between how much electricity is coming in and how much is needed and supplement accordingly.

It seems simple enough to where it's probably already made in some form, could be made by someone smarter than myself, or there is some huge flaw that my non-electrician eyes can't see.