Solana Aquarium: I want your 2 cents :)

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Miles, Jan 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Miles

Miles Astrea Snail

Hey,

So I got the clam bug and I wanted to set-up a clam-only tank. My plan was to put only a fine thick bed of sand and put my clams in it. I wanted to create something cool and out of the ordinary by placing on the sand many of those gorgeous and colorful creatures.

To stay in a sleek design, and because I don't live in a mansion, I was looking for a cube, something simple and clean. All those bio cubes and those curved rounded-edges-with-a-black-top box aquariums are not attracting me.
    I saw a few weeks ago in a store a Solana model, and I simply love everything about it. The tank is sleek, everything is hidden and the MH light pendant + the shelf are just sexeh.

But I did not find a lot of reviews on it except one on Marinedepot and some corporate babble copy-pasted from Current's site.

I'd love your honest opinion on it to know if this tank is going to fit the clams' needs to survive, grow and be happy. I will post a list of questions related to the tank and the clams. I'm sick of LFS people always praising and barfing the same things, that this is the perfect thing, so I want you to share you experience and piece of mind. Here it comes: :p

The Solana Aquarium:
    1• Is the default skimmer efficient and durable or just pure crap?

2• Is the biological compartment squeezed against the skimmer easily removable for maintenance?

3• Is the return pump / skimmer's flow powerful enough?

4• I only saw a water intake grille at the top surface, what about all the other particles in different levels? Do they get sucked up on top or should I add an extra filter that goes all the way down? (Evaporation must be a problem with this tiny surface intake, no?)

5• Evaporation: Is it really worse with the 150 MH than a bigger tank? What are my fresh water additions expectations? Everyday?

6• By the smaller size and capacity of that tank, am I subject to more nitrate increase and hi-lows in chemicals and more water instability?

7• What are the most encountered problems with that type of tank? Water / Equipment / Inhabitants.

The Clams:
    8•Can the water quality stay good and clams live without live rocks at all? (Only sand) I plan on removing the plastic bioballs to crushed corals though.

9• I plan on getting different species, especially T. Croceas and Maximas. Can they live only attached in sand?

10• Should the sand bed be thick? I plan on putting about 6 to 7 inches high. Good/Bad for chemicals?

11• Also, for them to be perfectly happy, should I add more equipment?

12• I was thinking of adding of course a clean-up crew, with turbo snails, blue-diamond goby, my landmower blenny and a few hermit crabs. Is this a good idea in that specific clam-only environment? What should I add / avoid?

13• To keep the tank groovy I was thinking of transferring a few of my fish like my Maroon clown, my Yellow tang and a few small Anthias. Good intention?

14•To conclude is this really a good tank capable of hosting happy clams?
    If no, what should I change in the set-up? Unless this tank is absolutely not for clams?

Guys, I want to say a big Thanks by advance for your patience at reading my questions and taking the time to answer them!
    Hope I didn't gave anyone a headache with my blabla ;D

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Not sure about the tank you're talking about but I can answer some of your questions.
    There are several articles here at 3Reef on clams so if you want/need more info, check out the article section of the site :)

4. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

which solana there is a few different ones as far as the lighting they come with, also IMO and only my personal opinion cause I dont want to start a big flame fest, for the same money you can get a red sea max 130d they are the best "nano" tank on the market at 34 gallons and more than capable of keeping clams with 0 mods

5. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

I feel that all clams should be under at least a 250 watt MH bulb. Also a little nitrate around 10 will be good for the clams. You don't want the water that clean. They do have to filter.

6. Miles

Miles Astrea Snail

Ooh yes, you guys are right, I forgot to mention it. I'm talking about this model:

[​IMG]

34 Gal. cube with 150W HQI Lamp.

Amcarrig: Thank you very much for answering some of my questions! This gonna help me getting started 8)

Iraf: See the model above; I checked the Red Sea Max, but I don't like the concept of having the tank enclosed into a bulky cover. Thanks for the suggesion. ;)

Adam: 250w for a 34 Gal? Wow! Hmm this cube is deep though, as I know that clams prefer shallow water that's the main reason why I wanted a deeper sand bed. But as Amcarring said, this doesn't sounds good.

7. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

If you are planing on keeping the clams on the sand then yes I would say a 250 watt and your clams will be much happier. 150 over that with that height is not enough light for the clams. I would do 1-2 inch max of sand