Softy or dendronephtya

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Flyariv, Jan 20, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Flyariv

Flyariv Flamingo Tongue

Hello everybody, can anyone see any difference between the 2 corals? One is in my tank that has been sold to me as a softy and the second pic is a dendronephtya, i seriously start to doubt if i own the dendronephtya And not a softy
    My doubt started after i read that dendro have sclerites particularly needlelike which i have noticed in mine[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Beautiful coral,sorry I can't ID for you but it does look as though it could be nps.Good luck with it.

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

How long have you had it? I doubt most people would be able to keep a dendronephthya healthy without directly feeding it.

Keep in mind Dendronephtya describes the genus not species so going off pictures isn't really a good idea.

5. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

From the thumbnails i was thinking colt coral or maybe a very skinny kenya tree but seeing the whole pic is throwing me off. You maybe right about dendronephtya, google seems to agree.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

The coral looks similar to the image, if you could get an image with the blues turned off or down it might make the ID easier.

A lot of soft corals have sclerites that look similar, like Nepthea.

I would treat as an NPS until you know differently.

7. Flyariv

Flyariv Flamingo Tongue

Thx Guys, i have it for 3 months at least and it really thrive , the thing is my tank is quite new so if it is a dendro, it really goes against all rules although my 250l reef tank is quite well maintained, i never feed him directly , sometime i add marine snow , but not so often, since i have introduced him he is always wide open and never collapes , just in some rare moments.

8. Click Here!

9. Flyariv

Flyariv Flamingo Tongue

Hello again
    I just shot a quick video with a closeup on the coral and a little overview of my tank, does it help for identification ?

Yariv dendro or softy - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2014
  10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Sweet tank, very nice.

I can not make an ID, it looks like too many other things.

11. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

It does look like one, but considering they're one of those corals that needs to be fed several times (at a minimum) a day, I find it hard to believe you've kept a dendronephthya alive for 3 months.

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

wow, you have a really pretty tank. What size is it? You have such a variety of colors - nice job!