Soft Coral Ill :(

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by SPUD, Jan 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SPUD

SPUD Plankton

Hi there,

My soft coral seems to be ill its all shrivelled up and one side of it appears to have died off. Any suggestions what could be up with it?

[​IMG]

Thanks

Spud

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Welcome to 3reef!
    Your coral looks like a hermatypic coral known as a Torch coral(Euphyllia glabrescens). The branch on the right side has died recently as the tissue is no longer there. It must have just happened as the calcareous skeleton is still a brigth white color indicative of coral skeletons. Eventually, in short time the skeleton will be covered with algae.
    I don't know if your water paramters are off, or lighting , or even water flow may be the culprit...
    Hard to say without more info...
    How long has the tank been set-up?
    etc.
    The branch on the left looks fine thus far as this species of coral will not always expand and have fully extended tentacles.

4. Scott Osborne

Scott Osborne Feather Duster

Gonna need more info than that. I know that I have lost Torches do to flow. The like constant laminar flow and less of the churning chaotic flow.

Just for reference that is a Large Polyp Stony Coral (LPS) and not a soft or octocoral.

5. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

I always find a good sized water change always perk up my softies when they get "limpy."

Frogspawn is much more forgiving then a Torch. Will do well even in minimum water flow area.

I started out with one small piece. 2-3 heads. Now have 5-6 pieces with many heads each.

7. SPUD

SPUD Plankton

Thanks for the quick replies. I am beginning to wonder if its water flow that could be the problem. I have done a number of water tests and these are the results:
    • SG 1.024
    • PH 8.4
    • Ammonia 0.25
    • Nitrite 0.1/0.2
    • Nitrate 10
    • Alk Normal
    • Temperature 78f
    Any more suggestions would be great.

Cheers

Spud

8. Click Here!

9. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

Our Torches are doing great, they are more sensitive then Frogspawn. We have a constant flow on them, and they love it.
    8)

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Nitrites and ammonia should always be at 0! Do a water change to start to lower your levels. Ammonia and nitrites are very toxic.

11. SPUD

SPUD Plankton

I've just changed about 40% of the water so lets see if it comes around. Fingers crossed :)

1 person likes this.
  12. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

good luck.......

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008