Soaking driftwood?

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by Kevin_E, Aug 19, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I picked up some driftwood from the lovely forgotten coast of Florida this weekend after an extremely productive day of bottom fishing 60 miles offshore. What do I need to do in order to make this wood suitable for my aquarium?

I started soaking it in order to water-log the pieces. I'm sure it will start to release some tannins. How long does that process take?

THX

2. Click Here!

3. Moby Duck

Moby Duck Purple Spiny Lobster

Abt 2 weeks depending on the size but it will release tannins for a while

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Would you recommend letting it soak longer then? This is a very established tank (10 years or so) and I would hate to muck it up. Should I do daily water changes as well?

5. Moby Duck

Moby Duck Purple Spiny Lobster

When I had a FW tank and did driftwood I got a big bucket and soaked my wood for 2 weeks changing the water every 3 days. It was water logged so I thought oh it will be on to add there can't be any more tannins right? Wrong... my water was the color of tea by the next morning.

Tannins won't do anything to your system their harmless it only makes your water murky.

Tannins can take a while to leave the wood. You can add it to the tank and do water changes to get rid of some

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Pouring boiling water over the wood and soaking the wood in it if possible speeds up the process of water logging. Tannins may or may not appears after a couple of weeks depending on the wood.