So you want a hardy fish?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by mandarin11, Mar 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

So just recently I have been working overtime at work for a few weeks. Needless to say I didn't have enough time to keep as close an eye on my tank as usual. So of course that is when something would go wrong. Like the oversized heater breaking. And I don't mean breaking in a stay off way, I mean breaking as in "Hey, I'm only set to 78, but let's keep heating the water, even though it's already at 86."

The end result you ask? A tank full of ticked dying corals, algae explosion, red slime outbreak, the loss in hundreds of dollars of fish, and a tank at 96 degrees.

Yes, you read that correctly-96 degrees. And yes, there were actually survivors. My female clown and coral beauty angelfish pulled through like troopers. They will now be enjoying an all-you-can-eat buffet, and all the water changes that go with it as their owner's way of saying "I'm sorry I trusted you to my aquarium-stupid relatives, and that you almost got boiled!"

I lost blue chromis, blue-green chromis, several flasher wrasses, my sand-sifting starfish, my male black ocellaris clown, and a few corals (although many are now on the way to recovery), but at least these two fish survived. I have had them the longest. They have survived several moves and now reef tank Armageddon.

So the moral of this story? Don't trust your relatives with your tank unless you hold their first-born ransom for its welfare, and always buy clowns and coral beauties if you are looking for a hardy fish!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. ccscscpc

ccscscpc Millepora

WOW....96 degrees....well at least there were survivors...sorry for the other losses though.

A controller would have helped you out there quite a bit....even the Reefkeeper Lite 1 would have shut the heater off at your max set temp....I love mine and never worry about temp or lights overheating the tank...and its ony $99.00

4. pecco22

pecco22 Peppermint Shrimp

well it had some good humor and some sad facts. I am sorry to hear of the trouble you went through with your tank. but the bright side is, you still have the survivors to keep going with. And you do get to restock it again.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Sorry for your losses, and way to keep your head up