So what are some invasive corals to stay away from?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Powerman, Nov 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I just took all the clove polyps out of my tank. I liked them OK, but they were everywhere. I know I didn't get them all, but don't really want them in the future.

I bought some GSP and they are growing fast. I like them, but obviously don't want a whole tank of it.

What about Xenia. Thought about getting some. I hear of some tanks being overgrown with this or that. What should I stay away from?

I mostly like softies and LPS. Zoos and shrooms are cool in moderation.

2. Click Here!

3. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Xenia are one of the worst as long as they are happy they will spread like crazy. They are easy to control though, if they are on a rock place it in the middle of your sand bed so they cannot touch anything else, including the glass and they will not spread. but if they can touch the glass they will attach to it and spread.

4. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

i like xenia - i started with one little stalk of pom pom, now onw side of my tank is covered. I think it looks good, and due to the pulsing makes the tank look more active.

5. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

i like zenia also, i love the way they grow up my glass, and if i ever need a frag to swap, they are so easy to scrape of the glass, and they will grow to a plug in 48 hrs. only like the red sea pom pom zenia's.

6. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

majano is invasive and is sold as a coral sometimes but its more of an aiptasia and can multiply as fast as it wants.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  7. jptrson

jptrson Feather Duster

Anthillia can grow quicker than Xenia.
    Galaxia and Bubble coral not necessarily invasive, but can kill everything in reach.

8. Click Here!

9. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Good point on the galaxia and bubble coral jptrson! Most if not all LPS will throw out their sweeper tentacles that are equiped w/ nematocysts that will do some SERIOUS damage to nearby corals!! Glaxia is DEFINETLY a serious threat as I've seen sweepers as long as 5" on them. In my tank, I've seen my candy cane, favia, hammer and frogspawn all let their sweepers fly so be careful in placing them.
    On the softie line, the corals noted are all VERY FAST growing if healthy so they can easily overgrow the tank or other inhabitants. Tree corals esp. "Colt" corals are known to drop "babies" frequently and they can be a nuisence esp in smaller tanks. Most of your "tree" corals and your leathers will use chemical warfare to maintain their spot in your "reef" so if placed too closely to hard corals they can also do damage. I know a guy w/ a 26 nano and he has a large colt that does serious damage to the neighboring SPS and LPS, to the point where he needs to trim the colt constantly.
    Certain SPS will also use chemical warfare, namely tabling acros, hydnophora is another SPS that doesn't like to be near others and will attack whatever is around.

The main point is to make sure what you have and plan to have are "compatable" and are an appropriate distance from each other(at least in the beginning!!)

Good Luck!!

1 person likes this.
  10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Thanks a lot guys. Right now I am looking at a plan. My fish are done for now. Liked softies, but like LPS more now. Who knows, might throw a SPS in there.

My tank is generally covered in polyps and I'm clearing out to make room for corals. I like xenia more than I do clove polyps so I got rid of those. I probably will get some, maybe... I'm just trying to get what I want it there, give enough room, and watch my tank bloom.

Since I'm a rookie, I thought I would learn from others mistakes.:)

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I'm battling a huge GSP problem right now. It has taken out a massive Orange Cap and a purple milli. I'm in the process of removing all the rock it is attached to and just replacing it with new LR. Pain in the but.
    I also have have Anthillia go wild, Zoas. But the worst by far are Bubble tip anemones. Evil things moving around and splitting. LOL

J

12. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

speaking of euphillia throwing its sweepers, i just had a torch let loose a pretty large one for the first time, ive seen my frogspawn do it too. good thing they all seem to just sink to the bottom and they all wind up in the same place on the sand. its odd how they can stay semi-inflated while not attached to the head.