so my lta finally took a walk

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by saints fan 420, Feb 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

to the weirdest place possible, and its huge now..like twice if not larger than when i got it a few weeks ago..

the thing is the size of a dinner plate easy..and has wedged itself in between a few rocks down to the sand and is latched on the a tonga branch in my sand bed..

it also looks like it might be splitting..

so my question, i have never had a nem split..for them to get ready to split they do unlatch and then walk apart right...i have the whole nem and then it has a seperate circle area forming, but i couldnt tell if it was splitting from the mouth, so it may not be splitting..the lights were off and didnt get a real good pic..

so since this thing is so large, im gonna make the 30 gallon just a nem and clown tank..and the 20 gallon when its done cycling is going to be my coral tank..at least for now..this nem is now huge and i dont wanna get rid of it just for my clowns sake, they have so much fun in it..

and the only thing i lost was a little birdsnest frag..it still has some of the green polyps so it might spring back..

or when the 20 gallon cycles i might just put the nem and clowns in it..either way one of the tanks is going to be a nem tank with a couple of corals..

also im in class and will post a pic when i get home..

2. Click Here!

3. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

I dont know much about anemones, but do you have any pics of him before and after? Its so cool when they grow like that

4. saints fan 420

Yea check my build thread too see the before. I'm on way home from campus and will post a pic of today. I have alot of nem knowledge just never had one split. Paeans have not changed. I changed to stronger flow bit now has literally on rocks right in front of the powerhead flow but he's protected by rocks of major flow foot wise. I'm typing on my phone so may not make much sense and sorry for wrong words

5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

They definitely like to be wedged into rocks like that with their foot in the substrate. I wouldn't go so far as to say that splitting is proven to be impossible for LTAs, but LTAs aren't know to split. They do tend to fold in the middle and it can look like it's splitting. They don't walk much either though, at least compared to say a BTA. Is this a new tank? or was it stressed recently?

Edit: if it's fairly new to the tank, it's probably just settling in.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  6. saints fan 420

ok i just got home..and uploading a pic,,its been in my tank a few weeks..but has been in the middle of the tank for that time..i put in my old mj900 modded, and replaced a 500gph powerhead..so my tank has a little more flow, but the nem has moved directly in front of the flow coming off my front glass..my previous always like low flow..and i replaced that powerhead like a week ago and nem did nothing, stayed in same spot..idk its just weird where it decided to move too..theres tons of corals behind it i gotta get to whenever i feel like maybe getting stung..it doesnt hurt to bad..lol..but yeah so far only a small birdsnest frag is hurt, it still has alot of green polyps but some parts of it are white..so im prolly just gonna frag it down a little..i really didnt see this coming..ive honestly never had a nem walk after being settled for a few weeks..it started this morning around 2 and i stayed up watching it till about 4 and then passed out since i had an 8oclock class this morning..

i guess the extra flow could have triggered it but with where it was it was in a low flow area and the extra flow didnt increase really the flow around it, it was in the middle of the two treches in the middle of the tank directly under a 250w halide and t5s..so idk just gonnna suck getting those corals..

before the move:
    [​IMG]
    after the move..new spot
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  7. saints fan 420

the thing is easily twice the size it was..and i feed it like 1x a week

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

They don't like high flow really, IME what they like is a low flow area where food settles. So, I'd guess changing the flow shifted the current so no food was coming to it, so it decided to move a bit. Tough to tell what a nem is thinking though :)

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

As to the size, off the top of my heard, could be a few things. One, light is less intense for some reason and it's expanding to collect more. Or, more nutrients became available. Or it's just more comfortable... Another thought is, they do tend to expand more when they are not being beat up by flow, so could there actually be less flow in that spot? Probably other possible reasons too. As to feeding, I stopped feeding mine a few years ago, they are perfectly capable of finding its own food, especially once they get big and settled.

11. saints fan 420

yeah i have over 300 watts of light over it..so its got plent of light..maybe it just likes that feel now..and it sux because the rock he is partially attached is the rock that has the zoas..but where they are they cant get stung so i guess they will spread to the light..im not too worried about it anymore..and yeah i dont personally feed it, i just drop a chunk of shrimp and my female clowns grabs and takes it to the nem..so the nem gets fed whenever the clowns feed it..whatever doesnt get eaten by the nem or if it doesnt eat it then my shrimp and crab gets a good meal

i guess to me it just looks like the nem is in the most uncomfortable spot, but they have a mind of their own..this is def the first trouble i have had with my tank ever for over 8 months