so i was thinking cichlids but now.....

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Joshg, Feb 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Joshg

Joshg Plankton

AFTER READING all this stuff about them i dont know.....from what i gather they are very aggresive and like to breed alot. well have no place for alot of babies and also i read that they get very aggressive when they have babbies to protect them...all i want it nice decent size fish that are very active freshwater fish. I have a 75 gal tank with lots of rocks and soon to be live plants also. should i go a diffrent route or stay with cichilds and if i do stay with them what kind do i want?

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

cichlids are very nice fish, i would say there probably easy if you get a good book about them.

have you though about a arowana, they symbolize good luck with money i think, considering some of the rarer ones cost more then a car i guess you must have luck to have those lol.

4. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I have had ciclids for more then 10 years in tanks. I have never had a breeding issue. For that matter I havent seen one baby...... I have moved onto saly water but my son has my 150 gallon fresh water tank with 20 cichleds in it and he has had it for 2 and a half years with these fish without any of what you have said. Maybe someone had a breeding issue but mine dont haha. I think for fresh water fish they are a cool species. He also has a stingray, very large tri color sharks and a black arawona. So I wouldent be discouraged about them.

5. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

Well, it all depends on which fish you stock in your aquarium. Different species have different attitudes and a nice and "peaceful" mix can be achieved if planned properly.

6. Dsilowka3

Dsilowka3 Fire Worm

Id say stay with the cichlids. they are colorful and active fish. As long as you do your research and do your best to find compatible fish, you will be ok. Most cichlids will form a pecking order within a tank, once they establish this, its rare you will actually see fighting (just some chasing). ive also found in my exp. its better to slightly overstock your aquarium, this will help with aggression since any one fish cant be singled out. If your looking to control breeding, just pick up a catfish (synodontis), otherwise anything that does breed, once the mother spits they will be food for the rest of the cichlids (its actually very interesting to watch their breeding habits). as far as stocking, Peacocks are generally not so bad with aggression, some mbuna species (yellow labs, rusties, salousi, are all good bets). Id def. stay away from Kenyi and auratus, they tend to be very aggressive. demasoni are stunning but best kept in larger group (10-12 minimum, but perfect for a 75 with 3-4 yellow labs and maybe 1 red zebra as accent).

7. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I think African cichlids are great fish. Mbunas are really nice fish. The only aggressin I really saw tat was bad was with an auratus. Keep the tank overstocked and you'll be fine. I had some shell dwellers breed once but they never got out of control.

8. Click Here!

9. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

Cichlids arent that nice...My favorite tank in the past was 2 red belly pacu two tiger oscars and 1 clown knife and 1 african lung fish...was a very nice peaceful crew....but was in a 90 with lotsa space so no terratorial disputes....and the got large....oscars a good fish...if ya a peaceful fish...