So brand new to this" 30G.. update New pics and corals

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by dskyers, May 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dskyers

dskyers Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

So I'm actually sitting in a parking lot waiting for a guy to show up who is selling a empty tank and everything he says I need to start a tank. It will be a 30 gallon tank. I will take pics of everything once I get home. Im new to this and will need help and advice and thank anyone and everyone in advance. I live in Miami FL and just got my first apartment and I wanted to set up a huge tank but decided to go this first and learn before killing alot of things that I actually like to see lol. So just waiting will show what I got when he is here but thanks. I've really been Lookin forward to this.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef

We will be more than happy to lend you a hand.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef,

Exciting getting a new tank, very cool, congrats hope it works out.

5. xxredxpandaxx

xxredxpandaxx Coral Banded Shrimp

Welcome to 3reef =] and i would also be happy to help.

6. blackreef13

blackreef13 Coral Banded Shrimp

7. Kristiavi

Kristiavi Coral Banded Shrimp

Welcome to 3reef, you will learn a lot from this site. They have helped me so much =] From one newby to another, Welcome!:wave:

8. Click Here!

9. dskyers

Thanks I just got the stuff I'm sure I'm missing things for.what I had in mind but for 100 I can't complain I will take pics now and thanks for the welcomes . Don't know what I have but look forward to finding out. This well be my first tank so eager to learn and enjoy.

10. dskyers

So this is what I have purchased for 100 dollers. What do u think? What I was told was get some live sand and live rock let it cycle for a week with a dead shirmp learn how to check water and can add some.fish and other items. Those where my instructions included lol. So my question is can anyone point me in right direction. This is what I have in mind. I want to learn how to do this correctly ad I have big plans in mind when I'm ready. So for now I would like to have a nice set up of live rock and some fish and a clean up crew and if I can some coral hopefully . He says the tank is 30 gallons I don't know how to check it. As far as equipment what else do I need I do want to start small and work my up so rocks fish and sand right now. What do I need to do? Also what should I use to clean up tank? Lights is something he said.he put together looks stable to me. One is a regular white light and one is a t5 moon light he says its very blue or purple color. Filter is a Bio- wheel 200. I also have about half a bag of salt. A extra 10000 k light bulb another set of lights incasr these go out. I have what I believe is a visi Therm 150w something don't know what it is. Also a magazine float don't know what that is some chemicals . Green seeweed. Fish food. A instant ocean hydrometer don't know what that is. Ph kit don't know how to use that either. So I'm not trying to be silly but I don't know alot about what ihave . So help me out if u can ill be googlein all night. And links or photos of a tank set up or different types of salt water set ups I can do would be help full. Thanks

Attached Files:

11. dskyers

The tank and light

Attached Files:

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Cool!

You may have gotten this link when you signed up, but give a good review, it will answer a ton of questions.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/new-hobby/whats-important-successful-tank-108699.html

That is a lot of stuff for 100 bucks.

Hydrometer measures the specific gravity of the water, basically the concentration of salt. Later down the line or when you can afford it a Refractometer is more accurate. You want your SG somewhere between 1.023-1.025 generally.

pH is a measurement of the waters acidity or base, or hydrogen ion concentration. For SW you want a pH of between 7.8-8.4 generally.

Hope that helps a little.