Snowing again today, April 14th, 2014!...

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Todd_Sails, Mar 5, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I'm a huge winter weather fanatic, but unfortunately, I live in balmy Florida. Maybe that's why I love it?

2. Click Here!

3. Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete Astrea Snail

Al Gore's prediction that the polar ice caps would melt in 5 years is up. "Global Warming" quickly morphed into "Climate Change". The catchy phrase doesn't really matter. Either one moves political agendas along nicely.

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Kevin, I've read a couple papers examining our magnetic field fluctuations that seems to have a far large effect on global temperatures and weather patterns than previously believed.

Also I think in our lifetime we have a solid chance to see the polar swap with I think is rad.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Just a friendly reminder

[​IMG]

No politics.

That was not Todd's intent I am pretty sure.

Thank you. :)

If your comment includes the word politics or political well then do not post it.

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I have no political agenda (I actually despise politics). I'm a scientist that spent 6 years studying this while earning my degree. I'm not going to debate the term, "global warming" because it's a term that's defined by anthropogenic (human) causes which I don't necessarily agree with nor do I care to discuss. But if you want to know if the globe is warming, yes, it is. It's been warming for 10,000 years since the last glacial maximum.

Is average global temperature increasing? Yes.
    [​IMG]

Is Sea ice melting? Yes.
    [​IMG]

Are glaciers melting? Yes.
    [​IMG]

Is CO2 concentrations rising? Yes.
    [​IMG]

Is Sea level rising? Yes.
    [​IMG]

Are oceans warming? Yes.
    [​IMG]

Is this uncommon? No. These same occurrences have been happening for millions of years, long before humans.
    [​IMG]

Debate the cause, not the facts. "Climate change" is real, "global warming" (see the chart) is real. It happened before humans, it will happen after human. It's a common ocurance.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I hope you take my post above this one from strictly a scientific perspective. I even prefaced my post regarding my distain for everything political.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I'll have to do some research on that. I didn't study much in the way of geology. I did take a few courses, but never delved deeply into it. My major area of study was in oceanography, climatology and meteorology, with applied physics, chemistry and mathematics.

But yes, polar changes have occured throughout Earth's history and scientists have been able to understand that by looking at the orientation of iron particulates within oceanic crust along the mid-atlantic ridge, as this is an area where iron rich basalt is constantly flowing upward from within the mantle.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes you did preface it, and I am ok with that.

For some newer members though it's a reminder.

Do not make me whip out another image of Barney Phife, because it could get ugly. I like to see images of snowy country sides and hear the tales of misery, so please do not make me close this thread.

Sweltering in AZ.

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Another interesting perspective on "climate change" can come from Antarctica's history and plate tectonics.

Antarctica was once covered by 1,000s of square miles of dense hardwood forest. When it became isolated from it's separation from south America, a dominant circumpolar current formed around it. The current prevented warm air and water from flowing pole-ward (think of a force field). As a result, Antarctica began to cool and ice started to form. This promoted a positive feedback loop (run away effect) in which the more ice that formed, the more light (IR) was reflected back to space, causing it to cool further. Now that sea ice is melting, there is less surface area to reflect light and more ocean surface to absorb heat. So now, we have a positive feedback in the opposite direction. This is why polar regions are warming fast than other regions on Earth.

Now think about how "climate" would have "changed" when the Atlantic ocean didn't exist (Pangaea- Think Gulf Stream) or when India was not apart of the Eurasian continent. The rain shadow north of the Himalaya's has caused vast desert-land on what is known as the Tibet Plateau.

12. Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete Astrea Snail

I'll make one more comment on this then I'll go away. 1st I'm glad you despise politics and that your posts are strictly scientific. 2nd all the charts and data prove the point that my SUV didn't cause global warming. When you hear the term global warming or climate change these days 99% of the time it's not from a scientific stand point and that's a shame.