SNOWFLAKE EEL IN FRESHWATER!!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by martyinalaska, Aug 4, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

It is called "Echidna rhodochilus "
    Which is a good name, because it was "ridiculous" trying to find a good pic....took me like,,,an hour! Did not know there were so many kinds of eels out there....

What do you guys think? Is this the one?
    :huh: ::) :D

5. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Well from the little information I have found I have not determined the exact species. I have a pic of the Echidna rhodochilus and it looks nothing like what birdlady found. I have been getting into brackish puffers and it seems like the same situation. There is a lot of misinformed people out there writing things they shouldn't. So keeping that in mind I am just giving my Opinion here. I would find if safe to say that you should actually keep it in brackish water, probably about 1.005. This will also be a good way to start into the saltwater hobby. Ghost shrimp can be found at most pet stores in the fresh water section, I pay from 25 to 50 cents each. I personally gut load my ghost shrimp with a spirulina wafer prior to feeding. This is just feeding your shrimp about 2 hours prior in another tank and then feeding them to your eel. This will help him get his veggies. I would also suggest doing more research on there diet because they will need more than ghost shrimp.

Here is the site I found on the above mentioned Echidna rhodochilus this is has good info

http://www.fishinthe.net/html/fishguide/fishguide_fish.php?FC=157&nl=9&nt=3

I will also mention that you will probably find very little differences between species in terms of water/food/breeding and care in general. Size and appearance with be the biggest variant.

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

you are soooo right ! There were some links that said...

"this is the so and so species" and half a page down they said something conflicting, or were being corrected! It's craaaazzzzyyyyyy! [smiley=argue.gif] [smiley=loco.gif] [smiley=loco.gif] [smiley=loco.gif]

7. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

I just re-read my last reply and reliezed BL may take it the wrong way [smiley=shocked3.gif]. I wasn't directing any comments toward you. I am glad to see you are also happy to help people with reseach.

Goodluck with your "Whatchamacallit Eel" [smiley=LolLolLolLol.gif]

8. Click Here!

9. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I never take anything the wrong way! Dry text is so easy to misread...I always assume nice things!! ;D

10. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

The pic you found and the pic I found, both have same name, but don't look like same animal!!!! That's all I meant....tough one to pin down....

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Well, I was going to jump in hear, but you've all hashed it out fairly decently. You about as close as your going to get. By the way, are you thinking about adding a brackish puffer to live with your eel? If so, I wouldn't do it. It'll be another lose on your head *WHEN* your eel finally kills it!

12. perrinj

perrinj Plankton

tell me what ki of eel this is

i have an eel that is light brown with gold speckles on it.i was told it was a snow flake eel by the pet store. it is 16 in long.