snow

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by dees reef, Feb 1, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dees reef

dees reef Feather Duster

18+ inches on the way, I think im ready, blankets to wrap tanks, batteries for air stones, in case we lose power. I hope we dont lose electric but if we do I can survive for a while. no back up for heaters though, I wonder if I could put those hand warmer things in plastic and float in tank if I have to???Anyone know??

2. Click Here!

3. trijam

trijam Coral Banded Shrimp

You can do that but they only last a short while and you'll need a few depending on the size of tank. Shippers use them to keep things alive.;)

1 person likes this.
  4. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Hopefully you have a gas range/oven.

If you do - then you can boil water and put it in tubberware containers/small rubbermaid containers and "float" them like "reverse ice-cubes" for your tank - that will help with the temp issue. Also you can absolutely manually agitate the water by scooping it out and slowly dumping back in - that will give you: water movement, surface agitation, and some oxygenation.

Putting a lid on the tank while it is powered-out is also a good way to save heat - just be sure to have your battery-operated air source going if you do that!

1 person likes this.
  5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

We are supposed to get a bunch of snow too. We have probably 4" at least but 3' snow drifts already. I think we are supposed to get about 14" plus 3" of ice.

6. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

Holy Crap! We got an inch and maybe a couple more on the way but 14"+, that's insane.

7. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

We have had over 36" this month. Missed the record of "Snowiest Month Of All time" (since the late 1800s) by less than 1". East coast sees a big spread of weather - in July we will be complaining it's too hot (even though it's the humidity that is the killer)!!!!

8. Click Here!

9. robl45

robl45 Flamingo Tongue

really making it very complicated, just buy a generator.

10. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Certainly the easiest and a "better" solution - but not feasible given individual budgets as well as space constraints. That generator would have to be bolted down and watched by armed guards to not get lifted in much of the areas at least in NJ!!! Also ppl in apartments (such as myself) cannot store equipment such as a generator let alone run one.

But no doubt - if you can swing it financially and you have a place to keep it - a generator is a Helluva lot less work than all of these little manual practices!!

Hopefully none of us in this storm's path are going to need any of these methods at all anyway!!! (hopefully!!!)

11. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

My friend in Tulsa got is expected to get 16" It is at 13" right now! haha We got 2.5 inches of ice and still NO SCHOOL!!!!! :) funny how things work out!

12. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

Supposed to get 15" tonight in metro detroit area. 3" per hour plus 40mph winds at negative 5 degrees = a legit blizzard. Good thing my tank isn't running yet because we might lose power. Gives me a reason to stay in and plumb it tonight tho. Fun stuff lol