Snails keep dying in tank

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by sullimil22, Jul 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fishpoop

fishpoop Feather Duster

i was told peppermint shrimp are nocternal.
    mine only comes out in the evenings. hes MIA all day or hides out in the shade under rocks.
    im sure he will be ok. as long as the nitrates arnt too too high they will be fine. make sure u have iodine to give to them too. they need that. not a lot cause it could kill your fish. you can get test kits that also messure this for you too

2. Click Here!

3. sullimil22

sullimil22 Astrea Snail

I never tested for Iron. I only have calcium, amonia, nitrate, nitrite, phosphate, and PH.

4. sullimil22

sullimil22 Astrea Snail

What is the product name for the iodine? I do have some aptasia in my tank thats why i bought the shrimp, but is there anything else I should feed them?

5. fishpoop

fishpoop Feather Duster

no i said iodine. inverts need it. not iron haha :)

6. fishpoop

fishpoop Feather Duster

well normally they are scavangers including my peppermint so they will normally just eat the left overs that the fish dont. just in case however i also put zooplankton in the tank and some other specialty foods ment for shrimp.
    iodine i get from a company i cant remember the name of. im at work right now but when i get home i will post it for you. its the same company i get the zooplankton from :)

7. fishpoop

fishpoop Feather Duster

you should also check for copper too in the tank.

8. Click Here!

9. fishpoop

fishpoop Feather Duster

10. sullimil22

sullimil22 Astrea Snail

Thanks for the help, ill give those a shot!

11. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

1 penny(copper) in a tank will kill the inverts! You might have copper pipes somewhere down the line. Get you some Cuprisorb and a filter sock...I've even used knee highs and it works real good. Put this is a high flow area in your sump or filter. My snails used to die all the time. I did this and I haven't lost one in a long long time! The cuprisorb lasts a long time too

12. sullimil22

sullimil22 Astrea Snail

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help, I guess it wound up being stray voltage, because since I bought a grounding probe 4 days ago along with a snail, the snail hasnt died, they usually didnt last more than 2 days. So thanks for helping to solve the mystery.