Snails keep dying in tank

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by sullimil22, Jul 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Chubby

Chubby Astrea Snail

Not adding much value here but I see this same problem pop up on forms from time to time, and I would guess 80% of the time its normally stray current entering the system.
    Chubbs

2. Click Here!

3. cooljjay

cooljjay Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have heard that snail die off could be the result of bristle worms, as the hairs get stuck in the snail and kills them off.

4. sullimil22

sullimil22 Astrea Snail

Well I bought a turbo yesterday to try it out in the tank after installing the grounding probe and it doesnt look like the turbo is doing too well as he really hasnt moved within the past 6 hrs, not really sure if thats normal or not, my little conehead that somehow miracuoulsy survived is going all over the tank.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

It can sometimes take snails a day or two to acclimate to new water so give it a little more time before you count it out :)

6. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

funny thing, i have the same problem, and i dont know what to do, i got some coneheads 2 day ago and one was dead when i left for work, they started droppiing after i started put MAG in my tank. :(

7. reefersRus

reefersRus Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I had the same problem with snails until I got my Nitrates under 10. Now they are doing great. I have to buy more hermits though :)

8. Click Here!

9. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

maybe he is using silica sand!?! I had and astrea snail that died in like a week, but now I have 2 cerith and one mexican turbo for over 2mo. and they are doing just fine. high nitrates could be the reason, because when the one died my nitrates were 30ppm or better

10. fishpoop

fishpoop Feather Duster

my snails sleep. sometimes they havent moved for a good day or two. then are moving again and eating

11. sullimil22

sullimil22 Astrea Snail

Ok I found out from my dad that we are using aragonite sand. its white and kind of looks like sugar. The snail seems to have been doing better after my last post last night. He has since disappeared into some rock. My peppermint shrimp that I bought the same day seems to be doing ok too...he was MIA until the lights went off and then he came out. Im kind of excited by this because i wasnt just losing snails, but also other inverts like sand sifters, only my hermit crabs lived. Ill give it a few more days before I declare a victory here.

12. SmittyCoco

SmittyCoco Fire Shrimp

Good Luck sulli! One thing I haven't heard mentioned is, what is your iron at?