Snails in the refugium?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by adamwheel, Feb 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. adamwheel

adamwheel Plankton

Can I put snails behind the wall of my display or no? I have a bunch of little ceriths from reefbuilders.

Currently, there's a skimmer and biopellet reactor back there along with the heater and pump.

2. Click Here!

3. henningero

henningero Astrea Snail

What type of refugium is it? HOB? You can definitely put snails/crabs in a 'fuge, just make sure that they can't clog anything up and cause an overflow. This is especially important with a HOB 'fuge.

4. adamwheel

adamwheel Plankton

Not HOB

It's an Innovative Marine Mini 38 aquarium with an area behind the display. Maybe my vocab isn't yet up to snuff.

Currently a lot of brown algae back there. Hopefully that clarifies my question a little more.

I'm new to this but am all over these message boards soaking it up like a sponge.

So is it a good idea to put snails back there? The skimmer isn't a Hang on Back and I guess it's possible they could clog the outputs of the CPR Reactor. It would take a lot of them though.

Thanks in advance,
    Adam

5. scadsobees

scadsobees Fire Shrimp

If you don't put the mini-ceriths there, they'll get there by themselves if in the tank. And then down into the filter sock.

Probably not going to clean up that algae as you hope though.

6. henningero

henningero Astrea Snail

I agree that they are not going to give the expected result of cleaning the algae. Some people just leave the algae in there and don't care as long as it's not in the DT, but I personally like to clean mine. It's a HOB 'fuge and due to my space restrictions it actually hangs on a side...

7. adamwheel

adamwheel Plankton

thanks

Appreciate the replies.

Cheers,
    Adam

8. Click Here!

9. chelonianraces

chelonianraces Flamingo Tongue

Why bother? They are not in the display right? Just leave them thrive there they will consume nitrates and phosphates, If they get out of hand just scrape/clean the area.