Snails hitched a ride home with me.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by phal.repth, Feb 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. phal.repth

phal.repth Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hullo!

I bought some drift wood just yesterday and after I set up my FW tank for the second time, I noticed that on the drift wood...was snails! Ah! I'm not sure if I want snails in my tank, and I don't even know what kind of snails they are! I'm not keen on just killing them off...But I suppose I'll have to. Could anyone tell me what I can use to kill them? Or what type of fish would like to eat them?

Btw, I don't have any fish in there at all right now...Ich and Finrot knocked all my previous fish out......
    _Chi_

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

Green spotted puffer eats small snails.

4. szrazzt

szrazzt Purple Spiny Lobster

Dosing with Copper and or high doses of Formalin works pretty well to kill snales and other inverts.

Can you take the wood out and wash it off? You should be able to get most of them off and out of your tank.

5. phal.repth

Okay. Even though I worked hard to set it up! Oh well. I'll do it again...

Thank you!

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

you could just get a algae wafer and put it on the bottom when they swarm it take it out and through it away. do that for a couple days. the key is to do this before they start breeding.

7. phal.repth

Oh wow! That's a great idea! How long until they start breeding??? *nervous laughter*

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Clown Loach will have them gone in no time

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

couple days, depends upon the type, but you will see little spots of jelly like stuff around the tank, worst case senario these there are already abunch of jelly bags on the log you got. you probably want to boil the log, it will also help remove the tanins that discolor water.

depending upon the fish your geting you could just leave them in there and the fish will eat them. there not as hard for a fish to kill as you think, the shells are much weaker then eggshells, it would take alot of concentration to pick up the little ones with out crushing them.

they could be good type(very unlikely if there hitched aride with out you noticing) of snail, try to find out if they look like a snail they sell at a fish site like liveaquaria.com if there not there there gonna be bad(meaning nusciance). i had one come with a plant once and ignored it i ended up with hundreds with in 2-4 weeks.

11. phal.repth

Ah! Okay. Clown loach...Got it.

Boiling would be a good idea...Though, I was told that it will discolor the wood. And it is a really pretty dark dark brown color.

_chi_

12. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

it does discolor the wood, because it removes the tanins faster, the wood will eventually turn that color anyway.

you can save the decision for later and see if there is much coloration of the water, my driftwood was pretty bad.