Snails / Hermits for 29 Gallon

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by NYGiants, Sep 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NYGiants

NYGiants Coral Banded Shrimp

My tank is in the algae boom phase (I presume)... I see some green algae in the tank, not much though....

I was told I should introduce maybe 6 or so snails or some hermits o help finish off the cycle... What are you reccomendations????

If i should introduce the inverts... which ones specifically should I get?

Complete Newbie to the game and loving all the help I'm getting from 3reef memebers!

EDIT: Forgot to mention I have roughly 30lbs of live sand and 35lbs of live rock...

2. Click Here!

3. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

4. NYGiants

Won't this be a bit much? Especially since there is not much algae for them to eat and also wouldnt that be a big jump in my bioload for a tank thats still cycling?

I was told to get around 6 or so snails... please advise ... your inputs are greatly appreciated!

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Those snails are mostly tiny. I wouldn't worry about them being too much for your tank.

6. NYGiants

What about them not having enough to eat?... that package seems as it has a lot of snails and i dont believe my tank has produced enough alage or much else for them to feed off of...

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

They're TINY. The dwarf ceriths are literally smaller than your pinky nail. The nassarius snails don't eat algae at all, they eat food that falls to the bottom of the tank. The ceriths are a bit bigger, maybe the size of your pinky nail, and so are the nerites. You should be quite alright.