Snails:expected to die? Why?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Pdxile, Feb 2, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pdxile

Pdxile Coral Banded Shrimp

A year ago when I upgraded tanks I bought a bunch of Cerinths, dwarf Cerinths and a few nassarius from reefcleaners. Now they are mostly all gone. No hermits to kill them and all other inverts are alive and healthy. Over the last two months I've recieved several email solicitations from reefcleaners to "replenish my CUC". I assume this means a large amount of die-off is expected. True? And why? One would think snails would be some of the hardiest creatures in our tanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Snails are extremely hardy, as long as there's enough food to go around. Unfortunately, most vendors recommend a large CuC, as well as replenishing once you've experienced some die-off. And yes, unless what you have left can no longer keep up with nuisance algae growth, you can expect to see most new additions disappear, as well.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  4. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

Never had to many of my snails die off on me unless my parameters are bad. I still have all of my torchus snails since I first set up my 90 and have had them breed a few times even. might what check what your levels are. Im not invert expert so thats all the advise I can give. :p

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

My guess would be lack of food, although there always seems to be something in an established tank.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  6. Pdxile

Pdxile Coral Banded Shrimp

Levels are just fine and stable. 1.025, about 97 degrees, alk 8, Ca 430. Mag and phosphate are zero because I don't test for them :)
    Over the past 5 years I've graduated for a 29 to a 60 to a 100, and I've seen this issue in all of my systems.

I guess they might be starving? Anyway I have no intention of replenishing my CUC. I'll just let the bristle worms do the heavy lifting.

7. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

i assume you mean 79 degrees and not 97.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If snails are dying off look for Polyclad worms at night, Eunicid worms and occasionally Pyramid Snails, lastly Hermit Crabs. Starvation is a common cause in newer setups, but in an established tank snails should last years.