Snailless plants

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by junhong, Jun 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. junhong

junhong Plankton

I've seen some snailless plants at petsmart, they come in plastic cylinders not planted in tanks. Has anyone had experience with these?
    Nels

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Don't buy them they will wilt and die in your tank. Worse than that most are for terrariums.

4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

:confused: How/why will they die?

Worked great for me!!!!

5. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Some they sell for aquariums are not aquitic plants and mine died also,BUT the amazon swords and java fern i bought in those plastic tubes are doing ok.My dissapointment was the misleading info on the labels saying that they are aquarium plants(so i lost quite a few due to not knowing what they were)(my fault for not doing better research,they were impulse buys)

6. missionsix

So, you bought something that was for a terrarium for your tank? I know they have aquatic/ter plants that are in the same containers etc. You don't think that you grabbed something that was on the wrong shelf?

I really ask because there is 0 difference in buying the 2 except the snails. In fact, you have a better chance of receiving something that has correct nomenclature.

I'm just curious if I missed something in response to the first reply.

7. grinder37

No,they were marked as aquarium plants and it was after i researched the names of the plants that i found they were not sutable for aquariums

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I haven't heard of anyone having luck with them until now. There tend to be acclimation issues because the plants have been out of the water so long.

10. missionsix

I have experience with them.
    They don't have snails, they come in nice little packages, you don't have to ask an associate to bag them, they don't have other tankwater with them, yada yada yada...... And, the pros plant their tanks before there is even water in the system. Sometimes growing them for weeks before adding water. Who knows what you are buying in the plant tanks the major chains have.?.?
    The first couple were difficult to remove from the packaging but it got easy. Have a trash can/bag close by, they are packaged in gelatin for moisture.
    Not sure about having problems with acclimation, hasn't been an issue for me. I tend to be rambunctious about my acclimation M/O in marine/reef and now freshwater. I can see where there would be obvious issues with extreme differences in chemistry causing acclimation issues.

11. grinder37

I fully agree mission,the amazons and javas have done well and are doing well,the ones i had fail just wasn't meant to be fully submersed full time and again thats my fault for impulse buying.My problem with them is i don't think alot of there species should be sold as aquarium plants when thats not really what they are.But now the containers and geletin-yea i like that,it is a neat way to purchase and transport live plants.So as long as your aware of what plants your buying,there allright