Snail problem

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by josephkb, May 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. josephkb

josephkb Plankton

I hav a 3 tanks one is fresh and I have aquired snails that overrun my tank. I have bought and used a Boita which is supposed to eat snails and he did fine the first couple of weeks but when he bacame used to being fed with my other inmates he stopped eating the snails. Then I tried a product called snail gone and used it a couple times but they keep coming back. I don't want to keep adding chemicals in my tank but they are killing my plants and this is already pissing me off.
    Please help anyone....:cry:

2. Click Here!

3. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

clown loach (community fish)
    or green spotted puffers (they can be aggressive though)

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

If it is in the fresh, I second clown loach. They will annihilate snails, and can petty much live with absolutely anything.
    The only problem I se with a GSP is as it ages, it needs to slowly be brought up to saltwater, so It may be a problem if planning to keep long term in fresh.

5. austeve

austeve Bristle Worm

I back the clown loach, had one of them perform carnage on a huge snail population. This guy should be done for war crimes.

I mean, I even slept with 1 eye open after seeing the carnage he brought to such a peaceful environment.

A complete ethnic cleansing of snails took place!

You gettin the picture?

6. LucBB

LucBB Bristle Worm

how about a dwarf puffer? sooooo cute :) I had a GSP in a planted tank of mine. Decimated the out of control snail population in about 2 hours! wasnt a small tank either. Snails are like crack to puffers. They go crazy for em! lol

7. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

I'm with the clown loach too they love snails

8. Click Here!

9. austeve

austeve Bristle Worm

no no dont worry about a brown puffer. You need a terminator in there, a deranged shell crushing monster, and the clown loach is that guy.
    Like the Predator massacres Aliens, your loach will destroy snails.

10. austeve

austeve Bristle Worm

Like if you paint your hand like a snail, and put it in the tank? Your new nick name will be stumpy.