Snail life span

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by APC, Jun 29, 2005.

1. APC

APC Teardrop Maxima Clam

Hi All,

Just curious...Does anyone know how long on average snails last..Specifically astreas and turbo grazers. Granted you probably have many in your tank, and don't monitor the individuals on a regular basis, so maybe a better question is how often do you lose a snail? Is it a regular occurrence, or a rare occurrence?
  2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator Staff Member

Can't say I've ever tracked the lifespan, but you know a google search may come up with the answers for you.

Jason
  4. boostenmkiv

boostenmkiv Flamingo Tongue

I saw somewhere that it was appx 18months in captivity...but don't have any evidence to back this up..all I know is that I don't have nearly as many snails left in my tank as I used to..and I just bought 5 margarita snails a few days ago and last night I found an empty margarita snail shell on the sand bed already. :confused: (definately one of the new snails as all my older ones were astreas.

Mike

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

well...2 years ago i had 12 mexican turbo snails and now i think i have like 9 or 10...so they r doing ok, 1 died in a new tank and the other well... i think he got stuck during the night and the crabs got him...lol...
  6. APC

APC Teardrop Maxima Clam

Thanks for the feedback all. My snails seem to be doing alright, but I have noticed that my red leg hermits are praying on the astrea snails. I have 3 crabs, and they are all in astrea shells now. My mexican turbos are doing well, though.
  7. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

ya unless the hermits r given shells they will either kill eachother or snails, the mexican turbos should be ok though, they r tuff little buggers :)