Snail Eggs???

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by SAW39, Apr 4, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

One of my three Turbo Snails has settled into a depression in a rock and has barely moved for the past 10 days. I think she might be laying eggs -- occasionally a little green pill-shaped thing floats out, to be quickly gobbled up by one of the fish.
    Or, it may be something she ate...
    What do snail eggs look like, anyway?
    Any thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Sounds like it is pooping. Snail eggs, from what I have seen, are strings of white squiggles on the glass usually. See the pic.

Attached Files:

4. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Brandon,
    That's a great picture!
    What I'm seeing is nothing like that. You're probably right.
    Darn! Now I'll have to finance my kid's education some other way than selling baby turbo snails!

5. My2heartboys

My2heartboys Fire Worm

Brandon, do you know what the survival rate of snail eggs are in a typical reef tank. I just have a blue damsel, engineer goby, scooter blenny, several hermit crabs, a few cerith snails (which have laid eggs on my glass), and a turbo snail (I think that is everything).

I believe my ceriths have laid eggs and am wondering how many I can typically count on surviving.

Anne

6. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Anne, I dont think the survival rate is good, as I've read somewhere but forgot. The ones who are real good at reproducing are the stomatella species and cerith snails. There's a good chance you might get most of them to hatch.

Anne, you can check out this FAQ at wetweb:
    http://www.wetwebmedia.com/snailreprofaqs.htm

7. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

My2heartboys, I don't believe the survival rate is good at all. The damsel will surely get its fill of the hatchlings. You could google it. Thats how I found out that SAW39's snail was pooping and not laying eggs. In that process I'm pretty sure I read that snail babies dont survive unless reared in a seperate tank. Like most saltwater babies.

8. Click Here!

9. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Like rickzter said, stomatella can reproduce like rabbits. In all those years in the hobby i've only had one baby snail survive, it actually happend a couple months ago. A very small turbo... Havent seen it since though.

Marc.

10. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I don't recall the thread or who answered when I asked what the survival rate is for snail eggs, but I was told, "you won't see any, most likely."

They were right. Now when my snails lay on the glass that familiar squiggle as pictured in this thread, I scrape it off, and watch my cardinals wolf 'em down. Apparently they're tasty and healthy for the fish.

1 person likes this.
  11. Frogfish

Frogfish Astrea Snail

Wow! I never noticed any eggs like that in my tank, and I look every day for new things in the tank.

Although, I have noticed quite a few baby Turbo Snails coming out after the lights go off. Counted like 12 or 14 tonight. Fast little suckers!;D

Frog...

12. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Just a follow up: 5 1/2 years later, I still have one of those three original turbo snails. He's bigger than a golf ball, about 2.5 inches by 3 inches.