...SNAIL BABIES!!! what are they w/pics...

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by sweetriden76, Jan 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

Looks like the exact same things I have been trying to id in my tank mine are a little smaller but identical shell type and mine are pure white.I get allot of them on the rocks at night.
    shall be watching this post..

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

4. sweetriden76

sweetriden76 Coral Banded Shrimp

they are definitely some type of cerith, I hope they are the same as my jumbo ceriths though, the 5 grown ones I have are about 2 inches long...also ceriths have a small almost round shaped foot where as a nassarius has a long foot, they are also slower moving then nassarius snails...so whatever type they are I have a lot of them...hopefully a good amount survives I'd like to keep a few and trade the others to the LFS for some other goodies, I want more coral but they are doing an overhaul thanks to the previous owners lack of maintainence so maybe by the time they are big enough to be worth anything they will have their tanks back up and running...

5. pagojoe

pagojoe Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Several times I've had people tell me they had baby ceriths in their tanks, but they've always turned out to be Cerithiopsis or something that looks kind of like a cerith, and never ceriths. Yours ARE baby ceriths, however. It's really tricky to ID juvenile snails since they often look very different as adults, and ceriths are no exception, especially the variable ones like yours (some almost white, some almost black). There are about 10-15 species they could be, but here are your most likely candidates:

Clypeomorus batillariaeformis
    Cerithium punctatum
    Cerithium (Thericium) litteratum

Congrat's!

Don

1 person likes this.
  6. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

congrats lucky dog!

7. sweetriden76

pagojoe, Here are three pics of one of the adults that I'm thinking these are from, I watch the tank a lot at night with a flashlight and the only other cerith like snail I have was a hitch hiker and is only maybe 3/4 of an inch long and all brown in color, its also not quite shaped the same as the babies, they are closest to these big guys I got(they are from live aquaria, sold as a jumbo cerith, its says cerithium sp.) also hers the page its on Saltwater Aquarium Inverts for Marine Reef Aquariums: Jumbo Cerith Snail (Build Your Own)

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. pagojoe

pagojoe Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Good ID pics on the big guy. That's Cerithium atratum, unless some of the powers that be are lumping several species under that name:

Cerithium (Thericium) atratum

If the species is as variable as that website indicates, your babies very well may be juvenile C. atratum. The shell expands at the right rate, and there aren't too many species that fit that profile. As you can see from Eddie's page on the species, some are skinnier, and some are bumpier, but those unbroken lines seem to be a consistent characteristic. The juvies may not show this yet, but should as they grow up, assuming they're the same species. It would be a coincidence if you had another species hitchhike into the tank that looked so similar, so I'm guessing the big one is their Mama (or Daddy).

Cheers,

Don

10. sweetriden76

awesome, thanks pagojoe, I hope quite a few survive, out of the 90 I would think at least a few will in my tanks, the only thing Im worried about getting them is my dwarf blue legs but they have been near them and it seems like they could care less...plus even if all the dwarf blue legs ate one for its shell then I'd only lose 20 or so to that so, its cool watching them grow, I have already noticed that the average size is larger over the last couple weeks...if anyone is in my area and wants a few in a couple months let me know...always willing to give a fellow reef keeper a couple freebies...since they definately all can't stay in my tank when they are larger...