Smallest tank

Discussion in 'Clams' started by antonym518, Oct 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. antonym518

antonym518 Purple Spiny Lobster

What does everyone think is the smallest tank a clam can be kept in. How about two 3 inch crocea a squamous and a maxima both about 4 to 5 inches. A 15 gal?

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

it depends if your willing to do a insane amount of matinence(such as switching water out 2 or 3 times a day from a larger tank) i could see you keep them in a 5 gallon if they fit.

4. Seppish

Seppish Fire Worm

Why would you have to switch the water out from a larger tank? I'm not being a smart *** just curious

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

its assuming its established, and all the parameters are more stable then just made up salt. less ph swing. the water would have food and pods in it(i don't think pods are important to clams). but this is a one way people run pico tanks in the 1 gallon range .

6. antonym518

antonym518 Purple Spiny Lobster

I moved them to a 15gal tonight, I got a flame and hes been eating the crap out of their mantles. pics. I also moved back my zoas that were in there recovering from dips trying to kill nudis. I dosed and changed the water and cleaned all the filters on the 15. Problem was there were two on a large rock with sps on, we will see how it does. I quess. The polyps on the sps are already opened. The bleeched zoas and crapy look sps frags are pieces that had fall behind the giant rock I moved out today. I only got actinic pics of the 75gal but wait till tomorrow I ll get some good pics up, shes looking good again with all the zoas back. The 15 gal has 4 24 watt ho t5 bulbs over it. 2 10ks directly over the clams and 2 460nm actinics, in the back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Mj23

Mj23 Astrea Snail

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Yuri Kapustin

Yuri Kapustin Coral Banded Shrimp

WHAT IN THE WORLD!
    That has to be the coolest lil 2 gallon I've ever seen!

10. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

11. Jace

Jace Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thats an awesome tank you have there! I know off subject but Its a compliment heh

12. getinpora

getinpora Coral Banded Shrimp