small white brittle star in lr

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by NanoMano, Nov 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

Hey guys my camera cant focus to get a good close up picture but above the small feather duster in the middle of the screen are 2 tiny white arms of what I am assuming to be a brittle star? would he be reef safe? cause I would be able to get him out ahaha I mean atleast not until he's big enough to get a hold of I've had the LR for about 2 and a half months and just noticed him now lol

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

most brittle stars are reef safe to my understanding but can knock things over if they are large enough but hes probably harmless...it could also be bristle worms they look similar to the arms of brittle stars

4. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

I thought so to until 3 came out of the holes all the same lol could be a worm but I think he might be a star, hard to tel at this point. I was so excited cause i noticed i got a bi colored feather duster on it now! hes beautiful white and purplish-red haha

5. brunoboarder244

Nice, should be harmless....i have small dusters all over my LR and all different colors

6. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

I saw some big ones at my lfs and they can be anywhere from 15-40 bucks haha this one is growing though he used to just be a little guy but he's growin!

7. brunoboarder244

i found a green serpent starfish when i moved my LR from my old tank over to the new one and havent seen him since, hopefully he made it i havent seen him though

8. Click Here!

9. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

yeah hopefully they are really nice looking, I also found a darker colored small brittle star a few weeks ago in my 8 gal but havent seen him since, I know where he is, just cant see him ever. I think I might get and infared flashlight for night time viewing

10. brunoboarder244

yea best at night...maybe leave a little piece of shrimp out on the sand bed and then go check on it after lights out

11. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

any specific kind of shrimp lol? like would frozen shrimp from safe way be ok? or?::)

12. brunoboarder244

thats fine as long as its not cooked and its cleaned and you thaw it out first...only put a tiny piece in though because anything left over will dissolve and become amonia