Small pests hiding

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by jarrettd123, Sep 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jarrettd123

jarrettd123 Astrea Snail

hi i got a few frags from the LFS about a week ago. Ive been watching them making sure nothing was wrong with them or anything like that. So im looking at my orange zoa today and i see a little starfish looking thing (excuse my lack of a better description) crawling from under the rock the zoa is on i tried to catch him before he actually burrowing in the frag but i think he has made home inside my coral is this common? Is it bad for the coral ? any tips on how to get rid of these guys ?
    thanks

Running
    26 gallon bow front
    2X korilla 1 heads
    deltec MCe300 skimmer
    aquaticlife T5HO hood lamps with luner bulbs

2. Click Here!

3. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Asterina Anomal - Typically a harmless herbivore, members of the Asterina family are all but impossible to identify down to a species level. Since as with most marine families, there are members whose diets vary greatly, which can lead to confusion as to which species is reef safe or not.but most likely reef safe

1 person likes this.
  4. divott

divott Giant Squid

does it look like a regular star , which would be the asterina. ive got alot of baby brittle stars , which are white with longer arms . they are totally harmless also

5. jarrettd123

jarrettd123 Astrea Snail

they look like regular stars just very small one was green the other was black. so most likely they are not damaging the coral?

6. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

watch them and make sure they dont seem to be eating ur coral they might get on ur coral but that doesnt mean they are eating them , just watch it but it should be fine

7. jarrettd123

jarrettd123 Astrea Snail

ok thanks he seems to be burrowed under the coral but maybe he is just hiding.