Small grey starfish - harmful?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by SirReefsAlot, May 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SirReefsAlot

SirReefsAlot Plankton

Just wondering what these starfish are and if they are harmful. They each have five points and there are about 5-10 in my 35 gallon and 10g sump that I know of. Asterina?? The one pictured is the largest I have found, about 1cm across, others are smaller. They are all a spotted light grey color.

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Welcome to 3reef
    Yup, asterina starfish
    Some people say in large numbers certain asterinas can be harmful to coral, but I would just keep them in there ;)
    JJL

4. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

yes asterinas

ps-welcome to 3reef!

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Those are Asterina starfish. I would bet those eat coralline. Most a are harmless. As long as you do not find them under hard coral frags or missing zoanthids they are probably safe. I myself like them and do not remove them.

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef

Asterinas and they look safe

7. SirReefsAlot

SirReefsAlot Plankton

I have pulled 60 of these out of my tank just because they leave white bleach spots where they eat the coralline alge. They seem to breed like crazy. I did see one large one munching on an SPS so I immediately ripped him out. I haven't seen any on corals since.

8. Click Here!

9. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

Yep they'll eat coralline. I've seen trails of white in my coralline from them eating as they move. Pain if you're trying to get a nice coralline coverage on new rock but I imagine it'd be OK if you have gotten to the point when coralline is more of a "problem".

10. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

watch them leave white spots on your coralline algae as they munch down on your purple. thats why i dont like them i usually grab them and throw them in the sump, i've seen some tanks get over run with them but i dont know how it gets that bad