Urgent Small green leaves are taking over my tank!

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Little Shrimp, Feb 15, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Little Shrimp

Little Shrimp Astrea Snail

First I would like to appologise for not having a picture, my camera is being funny and I can't use it. Now, the situation. I bought a small zoa frag about two weeks ago and it had a small tuff of green grass-like algae coming out of it. I didn't think much of it because it wasn't growing or spreading. About four days ago, however, I noticed a couple sqrouts shooting out of other rocks around my tank. Today I have shoots popping up on my sand, rocks, and heater. They look like single blades of grass. It is not slimey or algae-looking. I it litterally like pieces of grass. Does anyone know what this could be? I have the feeling like it could easily take over my tank. I'm sorry for not having a pic, I wish I did. I know it could be many different things, so just give me your best guess and I'll look it up myself. Thank you all for your help! :D

2. Click Here!

3. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

does it look anything like the attached pic?

It is really hard to tell you what it is without a pic...

Attached Files:

4. Little Shrimp

Little Shrimp Astrea Snail

It looks EXACTLY like this thank you +K.
    What is it? Is it bad? If so what can I do to control is/eat it lol.

5. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Bryopsis.

Pretty aggressive nuisance algae and can quickly over run your tank. The only effective way to combat it that I've read is raising Mag to 1500+ with Kents Tech M.

I've never had to deal with it myself *knocks on wood* but good luck.

1 person likes this.
  6. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

+1

I've been fortunate not to encounter it myself either. The problem with bryopsis is that nothing eats it and it grows quickly. The only treatment I have seen is to raise your mag, as reefmonkey suggested.

Good Luck! Hopefully someone who has defeated it will chime in.

7. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

No CuC will handle this algae? What a PITA. Really hope the OP can get this one taken care of -- Goto LFS and ask for Kent's Tech M.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

ONLY Kent Marine too...dont get any other magnesium

10. psiclone

psiclone Purple Spiny Lobster

get on that now and remove anything that its on. raise your mag to 1500 with the kent tech M. I had it in my tank and I ended up having to take down the whole tank. Act now or forever hold your peace.

11. jdrak

jdrak Astrea Snail

I got the bryopsis problem too. Raised the mag levels with Kent M, it turns brown in about 3 days once the levels are high enough and thus stops growing. Oddly enough once it turned brown my lawnmower took to it. I'm still battling it though, it's only been at levels for about 11 days. I've been told it takes up to 3 months, so by the big bottle. I've already gone through 64 oz.

12. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I beat it with low nutrients and good reefkeeping. Of course it has come back a little on a couple of frag plugs. Kent Tech-M helps alot though.