Small crack in tank

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by shaggy, May 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. shaggy

shaggy Plankton

I am new to this forum and to aquariums and fish in general. I recently set up a 29 gallon freshwater tank and have had water in it for about 5 days now. I added my first fish to the tank last night (2 marble mollies and 2 high fin platys). Today I noticed a tiny (1/16") crack on the front panel of the glass tank. I may have missed this when setting up the tank or it may have occurred overnight, I'm not too sure. The crack is only on the inside at this point (I can feel it with my fingernail) and is about 1/3 of the way down from the top. I think I am going to take out some water so the water line is below the crack, just in case. But my big concern is that this will expand to the outside of the tank and cause a leak and a major headache. Should I replace the tank? I am very concerned about this right now, I don't want to wake up tomorrow to a wet carpet. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

definitely lower the water level below the crack - and take off the pressure

definitley get the tank replaced sooner rather than later in case the crack progresses down wards

in fact as you only have a few fish, it might be a good idea to put them and some of your water, a heater and the filter in a bucket for the night and empty the tank now
    getting a new tank tomorrow

better to not take chances

Steve

1 person likes this.
  4. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Are you sure it is a crack and not a scratch??? Pics!!!

5. shaggy

shaggy Plankton

I tried taking pics of it earlier but its so my camera couldn't focus on it. I took the water level down and put my fish in a temporary tupperware bucket with the filter and heater. What made me think it was a crack was that the light coming from the side illuminated it, but as I moved my head around the tank, I could see the tiny little sliver. So if it is a scratch, its a scratch the width of a hair. I will try and take pics of it again and see if I can get one. I dont know, I may have freaked out for no reason, I will update in a few...

6. shaggy

shaggy Plankton

Ok so I took a pic, but it doesn't show what I am seeing too great. This is a very tiny scratch/crack or whatever it is. I took a flashlight and shined the light from the right (so that the light is going horizontally through the front pane of glass). This illuminated the crack/scratch and I can see depth of it into the glass. It is minimal at this point, but my concern is that with a full tank it will grow and spread. What do you think? Am I just freaking out?

Attached Files:

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Its possibly just a deep scratch

get a second opinion from someone close by you just in case though

Steve

8. Click Here!

9. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Just a thought....

Has anyone tried a auto windshield repair kit for a deep scratch? Would it be toxic? Could be a cheap fix.

10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

If there is any depth to the crack, I would replace the tank. That's just me. I would always worry about it. A 29 gallon is not that expensive, and it would give you opportunity to do to it anything you had meant to in the first place (drill, paint the back, etc.). Or you could just flat out upgrade to a bigger thank. The possibilities are endless!!! But I wouldn't chance it.

11. shaggy

shaggy Plankton

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. But if there's the possibility that this is the start of a crack that will eventually lead to water on my apt floor (and leaking to my neighbor downstairs), its almost worth it to me to get a new tank so I don't worry about it every time I leave... I'll see how I feel in the AM...

12. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

It does not look cracked to me JMO--I would not worry if you said it is minimal. Might be over worried. Get a second opinion in person.