Small apocalypse!

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Camilsky, Dec 7, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

Dear friends!

I've discovered the source of my algae outbreak! Damn! I'm really angry now! The rock, I bought from some on-line German FS releases silica! Aghbghg %^#$%^#$% ! I had approx 45lbs of it in my tank! I've kicked out everything ! I'm really unhappy! I wanted to be mr. smart ass and seed this rock with coraline alagae from few small pieces of fine quality LR... And now... My tank looks like a deserted sump... :dead: with lots of revolting hair algae! Instead of planned purchuase of RO/DI unit I have to buy some cheap LR now... What a terrible day... :bawling:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Ouch! :worried:

Sorry. Another "lessoned learned" to go in big book...if we had one.

Will tell you story someday about my repeated disasters with Cu destroying all life but fish from a internal brass fitting in a "cheap" pond pump. :-/

Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I like you have found that silica will feed algae then you myself and about 200 other real people I know have all had the same problem But let a Book writer say silicates can not cause this problem as all glass contains it and thats all is is really just glass :) And then you have the reading repeaters all screaming it can't be the silicates I rad the book By and all of their articles all say it can't happen..Yea right I'm of the camp silicates will cause massive algae issues .. Bump the Ca and DH up it will burn it out,, Look at the phosphates also.. Maybe the rocks leeched some of them also.

1 person likes this.
  5. Camilsky

Will do...!

Well, I will try to start my tank once again!

Thanks for feedback!

6. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

do you have a ro/di unit?
    did you test the levels of si,po4,no3?
    seachem gel works wonders

1 person likes this.
  7. Camilsky

I do not have the unit at home, however I was using RO/DI water from the lab. As for the si/po4, I did the tests in the lab. Very high levels! The rock I had was melting and releasing enormous amount of clay like gunk... I'm running phosguard right now, I will buy the gel.

Thanks for feedback!

8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Phosphates and nitrates are a bigger cause for the growth of microalgae, in my opinion! Silicates are released and cause the growth of diatoms, which are plankton that use silicates to form their exoskeleton!!!
    I would try the addition of carbon and a phosphate remover and also try to find the underlying reson for the increased levels of these in your pelagic area of your tank.
    Maybe it is better skimming, decreased feedings, implementation of RO/DI water and weekly small water changes, plus a sufficient population of efficient cleaning crew inhabitants such as a sea cucumber, snails, diadem urchin, Tang etc.!!!
    Hope this helps

1 person likes this.
  10. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

whats your O2 level?

11. Camilsky

Yeah!

I did the NO3, NO2, NH3 checks. Phosphates are high, also silica is elevated... I'm getting my own, decent RO/DI unit next month. I will wait till then. Moreover, I'm allocating funds for some high quality LR. Thinking about Fiji/Caribbean mix. I wan to get 30-40 lbs for my tank.

Hey! I don't have any decent O2 test, however I'm running an internal skimmer (100 gph of air). So I assume it's is aerating the water properly!

Thanks for help guys!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I have found that water temps over 78 F O'2 starts to fall of very rapidly thats why I also employ airstones with a very strong air pump in the sump and a oxygen reactor and at 78 to 80 I maintain a solid )total dissolved 0'2 level of 8.4 with a monitor not a test kit. But here is on average where you will be at varying temps.
    50°F 11.3
    68°F 9.1
    71.6°F 8.7
    75.2°F 8.4
    77°F 8.3
    78.8°F 8.1
    82.4°F 7.8
    86°F 7.6