Skimmer, Sump, Pump Build

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by ReefSparky, Nov 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Nice set up ReefSparky! I didn't read the whole thread but like what I see. Hope you haven't given up on the SPS. I swore I wouldn't get the fever but it seems to slowly be taking over. LOL

2. Click Here!

3. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Just put a hand in front of it and you'll know. The moral of my story was, when you see an orange, unidentifiable piece of plastic on the sand bed, don't wait 3 weeks before you take a keen interest in finding out what the heck it is!! :eek:

4. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

It could have been some type of infection. You did coral dip it before adding them to your tank right?

5. ReefSparky

No I didn't dip. I never have. The corals were purchased from a 3reef sponsor whose home I went to. The tanks containing the SPS corals were magnificently healthy, and I picked a few of the nicest ones. They began a slow and steady decline once they hit my tank. All other corals (non SPS) continue to do well.

It something that's been eluding me for months. I can't figure it out.

???

6. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

I saw this thread pop up again and my initial thought he was going to do an herbie overflow...

Sucks to hear about your sps. Ive struggled for the past 5 months but now Im on the rise with success showing in my sps.

Its a blow to the stomach and ego. Frustration settles in and you start looking over your whole system trying to diagnose.

Sparky just dont get discouraged.... thats the best advice to give otherwise you wont consider sps anymore.

Make sure all the basics are covered and are stable and solid. Temp, Big 3, Flow, Lighting, and filtration,

Something small and stupid could be the decline of your sps.

Or worse nasty sps hitch hiker.... very possible.

You could have altered somthing without knowing causing this problem.

I have just kept to the basics and have been keeping everything as stable as possible which has helped me lately.

7. ReefSparky

I appreciate the encouragement, everyone. I'm not giving up. I have had those mentioned basics under control for some time now.