Skimmer, Sump, Pump Build

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by ReefSparky, Nov 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Hey yamaharider73. I think it's the tolerance for hijacking that makes 3reef such a great place! We don't really consider it hijacking here, IMO at least. A thread isn't a thing so sacred that leaves no room for questions along the way!

If I had to do it over, I'd consider using a 30" long tank instead of the 20 Long, which is 24" long. I'd have to hang the motor on its own pedestal off the stand, but that would afford me the ability to build a refugium into the sump. We'll see how it goes. :)

I prefer the carbon that Tangster sold me, although I don't recall the name. This is one area where I didn't really get into the science and numbers per se; and just trusted Roger's advice. The carbon he advised has served me well. I think with any carbon, though, repeated rinsing is a must, and even then--it takes time to get the resulting fines out of the system. Look how black my skimmate is! I'm confident a lot of that is carbon fines.

Same here, Kevin. I have some fines in my sump too, after rinsing. A filter sock IMO is a good method if you don't mind the maintenance. It polishes the water beautifully while allowing you to not have to mess with filter floss anymore. Of course, they have to be cleaned and replaced periodically.

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Looks awesome Sparky. Here is a just a couple of suggestions....

I notice your manifold comes off the pump and then you have flexible tubing routed everywhere. Seems scary that big maniflod with all the leverage not attached to ridgid piping and a tiny little pump connection. If it were me, I would feel better with some sort of bracket to hold the manifold in place to something ridgid. The floor, the top the side what ever. Now this might be picky... I'm just going by pics. Perhaps everything is stronger that it seems.

As far as recircing back to the sump......I'm sure you have seen I'm no fan of it. Just a waste of power. However, there are legit reasons you may want to.

First... as you said you are only around 40%. Not bad, but a bit more flow would not hurt. That is not insufficient... just you have room.

Second, it is legit in piping systems to provide recirs to ensure you do not get into a low flow state and to prevent the pump from running dry. With porting a bit of flow back, then in worst case, your pump would not burn up. but that would mean your ATO isn't working and you have not checked it in a while. Or if you sprung a small leak.... the DT would drain down to the overflow and you would no longer have flow to sump and DT... but you would have a bit of recirc to keep the pump from burning up. Doesn't protect all cases, but it does provide some margin.

Oh ya... WOO HOO! 1000 posts.

1 person likes this.
  4. ReefSparky

Congrats on 1000!

I followed PackLeader's advice (or tried to) and purchased a 1 1/2" strap and even extended the port to manifold piece of 1 1/2" pipe just to strap it there, but haven't figured out a way to yet. I'm thinking I might try to just strap the 1" pipe after the 90 for the main return. It would require a 2x4 be added to the underside of the stand.

But, yes. It's my next mini-endeavor, and I will do it--just as soon as I figure out how. :)

5. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

Wow sparky!!! Looks goooood!! You have re-inspired me to incorporate a manifold into my new build...which will probably never happen (still in it's planning stages). But by looking at your build and seeing it in action gives me comfort and confidence that I could possibly one day take on such a task. Thank you.

6. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

Dint know how I missed this!!!

AWESOME!!!:)

Looks like some awesome craftmanship!!!

Looks Great!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  7. tatted4ever

Just one tiny recommendation.... Why not have your reactor 6 inches to the right in the return section? doesnt really matter. Looks clean throughout. Just something I noticed. It would cut done on some tubing.

8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

While you can't see from the front view, the float valve is about 1 1/2 inches from the front pane; and the reactor's effluent would be close to impinging on the float body. Besides, I want to have full view of the float valve.

10. tatted4ever

of course ::).... I should have know better... lol

11. ReefSparky

Thanks ermano! :) I still have to support it, though. It's a lot of weight on a 1" motor outlet.

For now, it's working like a champ.

12. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

how do you like the iwaki pump? you inspired me to go with a bigger external pump with a manifold to provide water to a phos reactor, fuge, and return to the DT with a fourth for the water changes ;).

debating between lifegard quietone, iwaki, or a reeflo snapper