Skimmer stopped making bubbles

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by bluetang08, Aug 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bluetang08

bluetang08 Purple Spiny Lobster

At first I thought it was a decrease but upon further inspection I have noticed that my Coralife 220 has completely stopped producing bubbles. The pump still works because water is flowing but the micro bubbles are gone. What do I do and how do I do it?

2. Click Here!

3. piezopaul

piezopaul Bristle Worm

I'm not familiar with your skimmer, but if the water is flowing and its not making bubbles, something in the air pathway is clogged. Try taking the air tubing off and clearing it, If that doesn't work the clog might be in the venturi. Try to take that off and clean it. Good luck!!- Paul

4. bluetang08

Yeah I already cleared the airline thats not it, how do I service the venturi?

5. montecarloz38

montecarloz38 Fire Shrimp

Submerge into vinegar solution. Also try blowing into it. Make sure your pump valve is open 100% and your pump intake in clean. I had a 65 version of your skimmer it would do it sometimes...

6. bluetang08

So I should submerge the entire pump into a vinegar solution or is there a way to take it apart?

7. montecarloz38

1st. Your pump comes apart, there is a circle looking thing right after the intake spout. Take it off and clean inside.
    2nd. Take the airhose off and make sure there is no salt build up and such. Blow though them.
    3rd. The plastic thing that is attached to the airhouse (silencer) submerge it in vinager solution and blow though it as well to make sure no abstraction. Reconnect everything and turn on your skimmer. Give your airhouse a little blow to start microbubbles, it is needed sometimes.

8. Click Here!

9. pjracer

pjracer Peppermint Shrimp

I have the same one and you can take apart the pump. real easy.

10. bluetang08

I guess Ill just have to look at it a little closer tonight I didnt see any easy way to take it apart but im prob just overlooking somethin

11. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

Hey, you never finished the other thread where I told you how to clean that out.
    Those things are very easy to service. just pull the pump off. where the little airhose connects to the pump itself, pull off the hose and use a toothpick or even a cheap fork to poke that hole out. you should see it all crusted in. I took a fork and bent one of the tongs on it just for cleaning out that darn hole. It all comes apart and back together easy. just pull it out and you will see notches in the part that blows the water out. twist it to line them up and it will come right off so you can service the Impeller.

In my years, If you service your equip on a regular basis, you rarely have issues. Its easy fix man. you can do it.

12. montecarloz38

+1 on that. Regular maintenance will keep your pumps, skimmers, powerheads, etc working for years and years.