Skimmer Shopping

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Travis45, Apr 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. papareef

papareef Feather Duster

You won't regret it,they take up no room at all,and are very silent.I'm on day 3 and have already as much nog as my euro 135 would pull,in a week !!

2. Click Here!

3. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

D & T has them for $250. :thumb_up:

4. jmik26

jmik26 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Go for the SWC 160 cone skimmer, they are great!

5. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Yeah I'm going to order the Xtreme 160 skimmer not the cone. I'd love to get the cone but the bioload on it for a future setup is not high enough. So the Xtreme 160 should work great its pretty dang compact too!!

6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Get the Warner Marine Red Demon wheel for it to get the most out of it. There is another tweak to it if you are interested. I did not have a chance to try it out myself.

7. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Well I just ordered the SWC Xtreme 160 Skimmer. So this bad boy will perform decent with the impeller it comes with or is an upgrade of that necessary? I was reading the description of the skimmer and I don't know if it comes with the mesh impeller as an optional impeller?

8. Click Here!

9. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

No... you don't "need" it. It give an increase of about 20% in air draw. So just get it running, get it broke in and see how you like it. Just know if you want more, there is a better wheel for it. Also... there is another exciting product coming out.... but I can't say right now. Can't wait myself.

No mesh wheel and you don't need it. Mesh is a PITA even though it does increase performance.

10. wfb2270

wfb2270 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

whats up with the "cant say right now?" thats not fair.;D

i just set up my 160 (not a cone). it's great. i stil have to build a platform to raise it up some. (sitting in 12 inches right now) . i pulled the "down pipe" off the "t" for the return for now...anyways what i was trying to say, it started pulling stuff out within 24 hours. now after a week, its doing really well. exceded my expectations.

11. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Thats good to hear. Yeah I'm stoked to get my new skimmer. I'm running an ASM G1 on my tank, my other skimmer pooped out, so i put my backup one in. It is way too small of a skimmer for my setup. Oh yeah I also did order it from swcskimmers.com Did I mention I can't wait to get it.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  12. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I'm sure you will love that skimmer. Let me know if you have any questions.