Skimmer releasing stray voltage help me out

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by BrianJ, Jan 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BrianJ

BrianJ Peppermint Shrimp

I just found out that my skimmer is releasing voltage into the water. Every time my hands touch the water it shock's the you know what out of me :( I inspected the cord and theres no cuts or abrasions in it. Do you know what else could be causing this? I know its the skimmer when I unplug it I get no shock.

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Replace the pump on the skimmer could be lights or heater also ? just unplug the skimmer pump to find if that is the cause if not move on to other elect equipment I have seen some types of rocks cause this problem also the minerals where reacting with the salt and saltwater can also generate low voltage of current just not much amperage .

4. BrianJ

BrianJ Peppermint Shrimp

It's the pump. I've been thinking about replacing my skimmer for awhile I just don't have the money right now. No worries though all I have at the moment is a big pile of base rock cycling. I was thinking about getting the NW-150 or the new SRO-LX1000S. Not sure which is the better buy? My tank will be 65 gallons total.

5. colodan

colodan Fire Shrimp

I would take the skimmer out. not to sure if it can be fixed or not but you def. don't want that much elec. current in your tank. Are you using a grounding probe? if not then I would also get one as this kind of stuff can happen and some thing as cheap as a grounding probe can end up saving a lot of livestock.

6. BrianJ

BrianJ Peppermint Shrimp

I do not have a grounding probe yet, but there will definatly be one in my DT as soon as I can get it running. :)

7. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Are you planning on running it in sump or HOB?

8. Click Here!

9. Reef'er madness

Reef'er madness Plankton

Shock, though serious enough, is not the only problem. Stray currents flowing in your tank will lead to galvanic action on any metallic items, even stainless steel.

In addition to a grounding probe, I would put your whole system on a GFCI receptacle. Make sure the grounding probe as well is plugged into it.

Your pump will need replacement as soon as you do, as the GFCI will not reset with the fault in place.

1 person likes this.
  10. BrianJ

BrianJ Peppermint Shrimp

In sump most likely. What is a good skimmer for a 20 gallon sump thats affordable, 200-300$?

11. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Get a ground probe ASAP. Place it in the sump right next to the skimmer pump. This will keep the current that is being lost from going through your fish / corals.

Replace pump when you can afford it. Or whole new skimmer.

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Get a Bullet 1 . from precision marine