Skimmer question...

Discussion in 'Eshopps Inc.' started by 4phish, Nov 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 4phish

4phish Montipora Digitata

Hello. I have a 75g lightly stocked. Around the holidays I would like to upgrade skimmers. Been looking for something that is built well and won't break the bank. I have heard good things about your skimmers and am looking at the PSK-100 or the 150 Cone. Question, would the 150 be overkill? With my 75 lightly stocked would I see similar performance with the PSK-75?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

I personally don't think it ever hurts to one-up on equipment. It's when your undersized that you need to worry.

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

most people recommend double your tank size to get the rating.

5. eshopps

eshopps 3reef Sponsor

no, is worth every penny of the investment because once you get the S-150. you will not have to worry about upgrading the skimmer again for a very long time. my suggestion is go with the S-150, you will be very happy, guaranteed.

6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

There is no reason to arbitrarily get anything oversized. There is a common recommendation to get a skimmer twice as big as your tank.... however, the is ONLY if you know you will be going bigger soon. Anything over 2 times tank size and it is too big for your current system or maybe too small for your next.

Buying a skimmer overrated for your system takes up more room, wastes more power, and costs more money. You WILL NOT remove more waste.

Personally I like about 125%-150% tops of tank size just to have some head room if something dies. And that is going off a rating of a reputable company that actually rates their skimmers right.

7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

The over rating is for the fact manufacturers tend to under rate their skimmers for average bioload since most people tend to over stock.

8. Click Here!

9. eshopps

eshopps 3reef Sponsor

in this hobby is better to get the bigger than the smaller one. with the smaller, you're pretty much limited to what you can do with the skimmer once your tank is fully stocked. and let's say if you upgrade to a bigger tank, you can stick with the big skimmer you have. if you get a smaller skimmer, that mean you need to upgrade again and this will cost money eventually. in this hobby, most peoples will upgrade rather than downgrade.

10. salt4me

salt4me Skunk Shrimp

+1 Sostoudt they do tend to over rate skimmers, That is where the up sizing comes from.

11. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Most reputable makers give ratings for light and heavy bio loads. Since most everyone goes heavy this is the only one that should ever be looked at. In the past overrating a skimmers capacity was common place, still is among off brand skimmers. Most reputable makers these days do a much better job at accurately rating skimmers.

Using a good brand with a proper heavy bio load rating there is no reason to get a oversized skimmer just for s#$%s and giggles. In fact, I would go as far to say that buying a cheap skimmer twice as big as you need would be a waste. Save the money and IF you move to a larger tank in the future then perhaps you will be able to get a better skimmer at that time.

As far as the original post... there is no problem with going with the bigger skimmer. However, if you do not use that same skimmer on a larger tank in the future, then all you have done is spent more money, used more space, and used more electricity (adding more heat) for no advantage what so ever.

Upgrading to a bigger tank is common in this hobby... but I was always of the mind set to sell what I have and get what I wanted for the next system. To each his own. Lots of folks also have a lot of intentions of upsizing but never do. Figure out where you are, figure out where you want to go to, figure out how you want to get there. If all you want is a skimmer for your current tank, that one is pretty easy.

12. 4phish

4phish Montipora Digitata

Thanks for the replies. Prob going with the PSK-75.