Skimmer problems???

Discussion in 'SWC Skimmers.com' started by kracer1025, Oct 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kracer1025

kracer1025 Skunk Shrimp

I just purchased a SWC Mini s Cone skimmer for my 90 gallon. I have the skimmer running in about 9.5" or water. I cannot seem to get the skimmer to produce any skim. I have had the skimmer in the tank for about a month and believe it should be broken in.
    It seems as though the pump is not strong enough for the skimmer. I need to close the valve on the outlet almost completly to get the skimmer to produce any skim at all.
    When I first turn on the skimmer if the valve is open all of the way bubbles rise up the cone like I feel they should then after about 5 minutes of running the level just drops and never returns. PLease help me figure out what is going on with my new skimmer.

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Kracer1025

I have moved this thread into the SWC sponsor forum , in the hope Mike or Colorado
    will see this and offer some advice/ comments on the situation

Steve

4. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

If you close the valve down some it should bring the level in skimmer up. If that doesn't work it may help to run it in shallower water. Can you post any pictures?

1 person likes this.
  5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Is the water in the skimmer area of the sump at a constant level?

Also our store # is 720-379-8076

Ask for C.J. or Mike

6. kracer1025

kracer1025 Skunk Shrimp

Thanks for the replys. The water level in the skimmer section of my sump is at a constant 11". I have a stand the the skimmer sits on that raises the skimmer. It sits at a constant 9.5".
    Since my first question I have actually got the skimmer to work the way that I think it should. My tank is a bit undersized for this skimmer at 90 gallons but I think that I have finally found the sweet spot. I have been getting about a half a skimmer cup full of nasties every 3 to 4 days and the water in my tank has been crystal clear.
    I have now been very happy with the skimmers performance and it is pulling consistant amounts of gunk out of my tank.