Skimmer making a ton of bubbles after restarting.

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Greg9MM, Apr 9, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

I turned my skimmer and sump off for a few minutes while I was rearranging the wires. When I turned it back on it started making a ton of bubbles and filled the DT with microbubbles. Anyone have any ideas why this happened?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

It happens, skimmers are just weird that way. Usually it happens of the addition of some medications and supplements. Just dial the air feed down let the skimmer run for a while then open it back up just until bubbles start to overflow. It just needs some adjusting.

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

IMHO, it should always have a 'ton of bubbles'.

When the skimmer and 'sump' were off, assuming it was your return pump, is there any features that keep the skimmer water bath height constant? That water bath height fcna dramatically change the water height in the skimmer, hence putting out more bubbles, etc.

Can you adjust the water height in the skimmer after the levels equalize again?

Just my idea in my humble opinion.

5. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

Thanks for the responses. There def isnt anything to keep the height in the skimmer. And it kinda did the same thing when i first hooked it up but it corrected itself i guess.