Resolved Skimmer Leaking - Central Aquatics Responds...

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Seano Hermano, Aug 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aquamn1999

aquamn1999 Astrea Snail

Glad you noticed it was leaking but from the picture it looks like its been leaking for a little while because of the hazzy water marks on the floor.

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

OK, I was finally able to contact Central Aquatics (manufacturer of Coralife products) over the phone. I was quickly transferred over to Coralife Warranty dept. The lady said they would contact me via email and I could send a photo of the cracked skimmer through email or I can send the skimmer to them so they can "check for cracks" as I mentioned the crack is either very small, or it is a hairline crack.

Now I'm just waiting for the email...

4. Seano Hermano

I'm not at home at the moment, so I guess pictures and the leak test will have to wait until this evening. I know it leaks along the lower body. I can't find the exact spot though.

5. Seano Hermano

The fact that there was salt creep on the lower body of the skimmer, and that my floor has been dry since taking the skimmer off of the tank, tells me that it was in fact the skimmer that was leaking, not the tank.

OK, leak test is over. After almost 5 hours, no water leaked from the body of the skimmer. I tested it with freshwater and blue food die.

[​IMG]

After seeing that the skimmer only leaked when the pump was running, and not while testing, I am going to make the assumption that the skimmer has a hairline crack. I will have to call Coralife again tomorrow to see how I should go about sending it in to get a replacement.

6. Seano Hermano

I haven't tested my tank yet for NO3. Will I be OK without the skimmer until I can get a new one? I have no other filtration on the tank, but I plan to do a small water change tomorrow. The cuc is still the only "livestock" in the tank.

7. Seano Hermano

Still no response from Cralife! I am very unhappy with their customer service.

They also want to see a receipt, which I probably don't have...bought it back in February. What the heck.

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

I just got off the phone with the aquariums store I bought thee skimmer from. They say they don't keep records of purchases made because their system doesn't allow them to...

10. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

The skimmer cup has a o-ring, correct? Is it possible it may have been pinched and the leak was coming from there, running down the body? I ask because I've seen many skimmers leak in this manner.

11. Seano Hermano

I don't believe that to be the case. While it is possible...I had the skimmer cup off multiple times(to clean it) and I always readjust the o ring when I put the cup on again.

12. Seano Hermano

I am going to get the Hydor slim skim...about to order it right now from Marine Depot. I know the Slim Skim nano needs a water depth of 11". My sump is a 10g so the nano will work perfect in the sump. But will the regular slim skim work in my sump? It is 17-5/8" high while the nano is 12" tall. I was thinking abo0ut the bigger one (rated for 40-65 gallons) in case I upgraded tanks later down the road.

Need a response quick, please. Google search gave me no luck with the water depth.