Skimmer help

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by LisaP, Apr 26, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LisaP

LisaP Astrea Snail

A couple of weeks ago we bought a 220 gallon tank to set up as a display at work, and the protein skimmer has one very different quality from any I've ever had: a little hole near the bottom of the collection cup with a hose running from it. Now I've checked google and the skimmer sticky here and I can't find WHY this is here. I've seen some pictures of skimmers that have this but no explanation of what it does. As you can see, the "ickies" (what I call that which is skimmed) have travelled down this tube and presumably back into my sump. Can't be good, right??
    My questions are these: 1) what is the purpose? and 2) can I do something about it? I assume that siliconing it would be OK... it would just make the cup sealed like the cup on my other skimmer..
    TIA :D

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

You run the tube to a larger container for collection. That what i do and alot of others as well.

4. LisaP

LisaP Astrea Snail

ahhhhhh thank you!! :) That thought never even crossed my mind, but it makes a lot of sense. Especially since there's never enough room in a sump and those skimmers are so dang tall!! We're planning on putting quite a lot of fish in here so being able to have a bigger collection cup would come in handy. Thanks again

5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Just beware of a scenario that unless you have systems to stop it, it WILL happen when you run the drain line to a bigger resevoir. It's happened way more times than people have posted it.

That scenario is:
    Your skimmer- for various reasons- starts putting out lots of water into the cup and drains to the bucket.
    You have a nice ATO set up with resevoir- you'll need one anyways.
    The water your skimmer just dumped down the drain not working properly-
    was replaced by yout RO/DI ATO water- dropping the SG in the DT a bunch, and rather quickly too- NOT got for corals, fish usually survive.

There are several systems- DIY, store bought, etc. that can keep this from happening.

Good luck, send us some pictures.

Rockledge Fl? That's where I started my PA-C career, at the hospital there- lived in Cocoa Beach.

**, Oh, and btw- that tube usually always comes with a cap/plug. I;d keep it capped IMHO- that way you wipe the cup out with a sponge when you clean/empty it like every day or two, and if it overflows- goes right back into the sump where it came from- not dropping your volume and negating the scenario above.

FWIW- My skimmer cup has a drain line- that stays plugged.

IMO- a reefer should be able to empty and wipe clean the skimmer cup every few days as a routine. Just MHO though.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  6. LisaP

LisaP Astrea Snail

I wish it did have a cap :-/ That would probably be the best option, especially for now. That way I could leave it as is and have the option to change it down the road. Unfortunately though we bought the whole set-up used and much of the equipment needed to be replaced, an expense we weren't really counting on. I was very happy that the skimmer was on the "things that actually work" list! (I hope it doesn't sound like I'm complaining too much, this tank was a steal and I'm super stoked. Just like every big project though you run into unexpected setbacks.) I'm sure we can come up with a way to cap it. Right now I've just been cleaning the cup every day, which isn't such a bad habit to pick up. 3 of the 5 people at my business have tanks at home so this baby is getting lots of attention!

Yep, good ol' Rockledge! I know a ton of people that work at the hospital, it's quite a fixture in this small town!

I'll post a picture or two soon. It's near the end of the cycle now, just waiting on diatoms to decide to go away :p

7. LisaP

LisaP Astrea Snail

OK. I may start a thread about the tank so I'll just post two pictures in this one. The quick rundown is we put quite a bit of TLC into this beauty: stripped and redid the silicone, stripped and repainted the back glass, sanded and re-stained a lot of the wood, new lights, new plumbing, and lots and lots of cleaning! First pic is day one, second pic is one of the first days of the cycle. Before the diatoms descended and put a dusting on all that bare white rock! Oh and we added a few more pieces of LR since then..
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

If you have room you could attach the container to your sump so overflows can return to the system.I for one clean mine often as the skimmate forming will make the skimmer less efficient and the extra collection area is not necessary.;)

P.S. love the stand!!!!

10. LisaP

LisaP Astrea Snail

I think cleaning often may be the best way to go.. we're here six days a week anyways, might as well be doing something! LOL. I'm just happy to know what it's for, it was stumping me!

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

the tank is at your business? that is awesome! I'll just mention what I have for what it's worth - I have a tube like that that catches overflow from the skimmer into another bottle thing that has a ping pong ball that when it fills too high, the ball stops the skimmer from overflowing further until I can empty the overflow liquid. It's made by precision marine systems. I can look to find it if you're interested.

12. LisaP

LisaP Astrea Snail

Thanks!! That's the main reason we bought it 8)

Thanks for the idea fishkeeper, but for now we're going to just keep it simple and change it often. If it becomes a big deal we'll look into adding something like that. We have some space..
    And yes, it is at work. I love having a tank here! Although I didn't anticipate all the questions/unsolicited input from customers.. that can get tedious at times! When someone told me "no need to cycle, just throw some cheap fish in there and if they die, so what" I almost lost my mind! I considered putting up a sign that says "we know what we're doing!" LOL :yelrotflm