Six-Line Wrasse upside down on delivery

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Moxtrain, Jul 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

Just got my order in from LA and when I went to unbag and start acclimating the six line I noticed he wasn't moving much and he was upside down in the bag. I was worried it was an issue with transit so I acclimated him to temp and did a brief (30 min) drip into his bag and transferred him into a floating bag of DT water. He's livening up a bit but he's still upside down and when he does swim he barrel rolls to right side up, swims a bit, and loses his balance again. Think he's just stressed from the trip or is he in deeper trouble than that?
    SG: 1.026
    Temp: 80
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: ~0
    Phosphate: ~0

TIA

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Sounds like a possible swim bladder issue,possibly from shipping.I've heard of feeding smashed peas can help but have no experience myself with that.For proof though,I would go ahead and photo document things.Hope it snaps out of it for ya,good luck.

1 person likes this.
  4. Moxtrain

Yeah I got into good photo habits early so I have all the stages of unpack on photo at least. Mashed pea's could be an idea though.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Contact LA and let them know there is a problem with the wrasse also.

6. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

They will refund you or replace the fish no problem if it dies

7. dskyers

dskyers Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Yea contact them from now and let them know don't wait until it dies

8. Click Here!

9. Moxtrain

My worry is more for the fish in trouble now. I did get an e-mail off to LA to apprise them of the situation and put the ball in their court. At this point he's in a makeshift QT area of the tank and i'm doing small manual water swaps in and out of the main tank to keep his O2 up and anything else he's producing in the water down. I mostly want to make sure i'm doing everything I can be doing and not missing anything major. Thanks for the responses so far guys.

10. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Sounds like your doing everything you can at this point.

11. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Most definitely a swim bladder problem (sounds ruptured to me). Early treatment with erythromycin antibiotics in a hospital tank can often be successful in the onset of a swim bladder infection, but once it's set in as you've described there's not much that can be done. And if it's ruptured there's nothing that can be done.

I'm sorry to say, if you can choose to watch the situation for the next few days, the chances of any recovery are exceptionally slim.

12. Moxtrain

With no real improvement should I start thinking about euthanizing?