Simple "Top-off" system

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by omard, Mar 20, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Preparing to leave town for a week (heading for some sun, reefs and "fun" in Florida).

I needed to come up with a top-off system quick...

Sharing here what I came up with..

Using a Kent Reverse Osmosis Float Valve ($19.99) from
    CustomAquatic,

[​IMG]

I mounted in a small plastic planting pot I rounded up that was just the right height and placed in sump.

[​IMG]

1/4" tubing gravity feeding from "Porcelin vase (which heretofore was wasting space (my view :p, not wife's) holding some plastic flowers...

[​IMG]

Holds easily enough RO/DI to last week I am gone...Looks OK (was using the ol orange HomeDepot 5 gallon "pail" initially (wife did not not like that in her living room :-[), Works great and fairly "fail-safe"....

Just "sharing" idea...

OmarD
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

WoW!!

Now that's a first.

Brilliant.

You should start selling a whole line of camoflaged 'wife safe' products. May be a huge market for it! [smiley=biglaugh.gif]

FYI - I used one of those floats for years and it never failed. Just cleaned it periodically.

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Hiya Matt,

Ok, will send in "patent" papers tomorrow...

But very good point, - easy to get carried away in this hobby and forget needs of others that have to share in it...

Have yet to see on any of the "getting started" lists of "do's and dont's" - "Keep Spouse Happy!!! - & get him/her fully involved also!!! - should be at top of any list.

Mine is, thankfully, - and luckily, she is much more level-headed then I am. Am sure if was just up to me (as you "hinted" at in other post) - I would have alreaded started on that "house extension" by now. :p

Will make sure to clean the float valve periodically - a very cool little device that fills a need perfectly.

Rgds,

OmarD :) :)

5. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I love them valves ive got 2 one in the sump for top off and the other in the 30g topoff resivoir for auto filling

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Are you sure it will hold enough top off water?
    if power goes out do you have a battery backup?
    someone going to be checking things out while you are gone?

Aret here holes in that pot in the sump? wondering just how it does the top off if it just evaporates?

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Hi Nautilus..

Think you covered most circumstances to worry about in absence.

Have someone (father) to check on things couple of times while gone -also have birds and cats in house that need some minimum care. Dad will do some pre-prepared "spot-feeding" -even though I am fairly confident current residents could go a week on their own. May even be good for them to do some "fasting" now and then (just like us ;) )

Yes, there are holes in the bottom of the "pot" in sump...water in it stays same level as that in sump. - As water evaps out, valve float lowers and water trickles in from the storage container. - Am pretty certain it will cover replacement needs for a week. Testing now just to make sure and will have some "spare" on hand if needed. Have had going for 3 days now and "system" is working like a champ. - looks are deceiving - but that "vase" holds nearly 5 gallons.

My tank is pretty stable and really needs a minimum of looking after - but think I have at least the basics covered as best I can without having someone check on them daily. - "Power" is biggest concern..but loss of such is very rare in my area this time of year.

Will have power lines laid out to 5KW generator in motor home (w/80 gals of gas) in event of power failure (neighbors will start up if local power outage of some kind).

Think I have "basics" covered as best I can.

Rgds and thx for thoughts,

OmarD

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

5k generator?
    Man, I'd say you have it covered! :eek: ;D 8)

10. gamma

gamma Spaghetti Worm

Posted by: omard
    Trying to understand your top-off system. Wish I cold see a diagram. The water from the storage container, does that trickle in by gravity or is that pumped in? The water in the storage container, how does water get in there?

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

The water he puts in the vase is gravity fed to the float switch via the hose. So the vase has to be a little higher than the sump.

12. gamma

gamma Spaghetti Worm

If the vase is in the sump. Couldn't the float valve just be attached to the sump instead of the vase that's in the sump?