Simple aquascaping question

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by Lady J, Aug 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Hi all,

I'm very new to planted tanks (like 8 weeks lol ). Well anyway, I've seen many suggestions regarding different ways to scape the tank. I am trying to do the triangle one where it's tall on the right side and gently slopes to a low point on the left. All of plants are green and was wondering if adding a red tiger lotus to the lowest part of my thank (the left side) would somehow make the tank "look" wrong as the focal point is on the right side.

Sorry, I don't know how to load a picture or I would. ::) Maybe later I can get my teenage son to download one for me so you can get a visual.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That would depend on how you have the left side. If it open sand then the Lotus in the sand area would not look to bad.

For pictures get a Photobucket account, they are free, and upload your photos to the site. Just click on the IMG link they provide in the drop down menu of each photo and paste it in your post.

4. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

I'm just gonna hang out with you 2in10 'cuz you seem to help me with everything. ;D

The left side is pretty much just plain sand (it's begging for something over there). I could try putting it in the higher, focal point range but I'm not sure it would have enough room. I have my little banana plant where the lotus could possibly go, not sure though because it might get squished by the glass. It depends on the circumference of the lotus.

Right now I only have my camera phone so I doubt I could even get a fairly clear picture. Ugh, sometimes I hate technology. *sigh*

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

The lotus can take over large sections with the leaves as they can grow to 6" to 7" long and 4" to 5" wide.

We do not have too many planted tank enthusiasts here.

6. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Well then, the only place where it could thrive would be on the left, the lowest point of the slope.

I visited 2 other freshwater sites and wasn't impressed. They didn't have enough traffic nor did they seem to have very knowledgeable people.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I have found a lot of FW sites have lower traffic/response rates than we do.

8. Click Here!

9. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Yes, that's part of it. I would post a question and wait 24 hours and still not receive a response. I guess I shouldn't say the people weren't knowledgeable because I am the one who isn't. I guess it just felt that way. But, they seemed nice and were trying to help so that's a good thing.

IDK, I guess I just like this site. :)

You know, something I wasn't expecting is to see how pretty my fw planted tank is becoming. Since I've never done live plants before I didn't realize how pretty it looks with those and the driftwood. My favorite sw fish, hands down, is the midas blenny (s/he used to spit water at me---it was hilarious). However, my irridescant baby blue/red betta, IMHO, is as pretty as most saltwater fish.

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

There are some very pretty/colorful FW fish indeed.

Planted tanks can be quite beautiful.

11. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

I absolutely love Discus, they're out-of-this-world beautiful but I wouldn't even consider them for 2 reasons: 1) my tank is way too small, and 2) even if my tank was large enough I have nowhere near enough experience to keep them. Gotta be smart enough to know when you just don't know.

What I love about the fw planted tanks is how peaceful they are. I am a bit disappointed though in my fish choices because I don't have as much color as I was hoping for. I have my betta, 6 little corys, and 7 rasbora espeis. The rasboras just aren't popping very much. IDK, maybe they will color up in a while and I can certainly add a few more. From a distance though, they're very bland looking.

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Fish choices can be tough. I like Cardinal and Rummynose Tetras and Porkchop Rasboras (heteromorpha) for color. Lemon Tetras have a beautiful clear see through yellow in a planted tank.