Silver Xenia won't go away!

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by reefnJeff, Apr 1, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

Anyways! The best title I could come up with, hahaha! After my mishap when I transferred my 40b in to the 72 bow front I had lost 3 Corals. One being my Silver Xenia colony.
    Today I watched a hermit crap try to change shells and I got a closer look and to my surprise seen this.
    3 tiny little Silver Xenia polyps on this shell, hahaha!! I am sure in no time that shell will be covered with them.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

xenia on the move! Holy Cow, good luck with that! lol;)

4. homyg30

homyg30 Feather Duster

i saw someone from a reef club around me had a hermit with a mushroom on its shell it was pretty neat!

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I've had little bits fall off my xenia colony and start to flourish where they've dropped to :) I know some people hate xenia but I really like them especially the lighter colored ones. Just put the shell where you want them to grow! Congrats on finding them.

6. CrashNT

CrashNT Astrea Snail

Gratz! I love xenia. Its so hypnotic to watch a large specimen opening and closing. At my LFS they have a 20gal cube just filled with a large white xenia. I could sit there for hours and watch it

7. reefnJeff

Will this is what the shell looks like now, I have it by a small rock. Kind of scratching my head on the thought if I should let it go.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Vizzle1717

Vizzle1717 Coral Banded Shrimp

wait...so the shell never had hermit crab in it?

10. reefnJeff

Yes at first, it did eventually switch shells, it took awhile to find the shell with the Zenia on it, but eventually they got so big that I was able to find them in a back corner of the tank

11. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I'm trying to coax my rabbitfish into eating xenia.....I hate the stuff and it's just growing like crazy in my tank. For those who say it doesn't like clean water I say.....WRONGO PAL-O!

12. Vizzle1717

Vizzle1717 Coral Banded Shrimp

Xenia will grow fast in anything, actually clean water is where Xenia thrives if properly feed