Silver Xenia growing up

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by 55gfowlr, Jul 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

[​IMG]

Today I bring Home a small frag of Silver Xenia from the LFS, I'm going to keep a visual documentation for a solid month for all to see. For everyone who has ever wanted to see how fast Xenia grow, or are just curious, keep checking in for daily updates.

2. Click Here!

3. carpenterman23

carpenterman23 Plankton

They do grow quick. Mine doubled in size in less than 2 months.

4. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

5. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

6. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

7. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

I first tried to use a toothpick and then rubber band that to a rock, but after 2 hours it pealed off the pick and began to float around. It actually took me a really long time to catch the little booger, but finally when I did, I tossed him into a shot glass with a small frag in the bottom, and hoped for the best. By day 3 now it's appearing to be fully attached to the frag and is stretching all the way out. I apologize for the quality of the first pics here, not too easy getting clarity through 2 walls of glass, but I'll be taking it out of the cup in just a day or two now.

8. Click Here!

9. Reef4life

Reef4life Feather Duster

I love this coral but be mindful of were you put him because mine grew super fast!
    And they tend to take over space at an astounding rate... but nothing more fascinating than when they start pulsating it is amazing. :)

10. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

I don't have experience with xenia, I was wondering, will they flow over to other rock piles in my tank, or will they stick to one pile and not touch the sand like other coral I've read about? I purposely separated my rock into different piles and they each have their own small caves, my thought here was to help keep certain corals from waging territory disputes. I know xenia aren't aggressive, but I was hoping they would "claim" their own pile, and not bother the others which I only have my shroom on atm, and plan the third pile for something later down the road. Or should I just expect on occasionally thinning out the xens as the overcrowd.....

11. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

12. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Day 4, after seeing the coral was holding onto the frag pretty well, he is now out of the shot glass and firmly placed on my rock. My Emerald crab must have thought the coral an intruder cause he immediately ran to the frag and pulled it off it's perch and onto the sand it went. Shooing the crab away I replaced it, keeping a close eye in crabs for a while. So far so good and he's looking good. So that answers anybody's question about fagging, it only took mine 2 days to attach, but I left it alone for 4 days to be sure. Also, I'm using a better camera now for clarity. Hope this looks better.

[​IMG]