Sick Xenia, Flowerpot

Discussion in 'Coral Diseases' started by IBMGeek, Feb 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

There are some little brown spots that started growing a while back on my xenia and flowerpot coral.Ive had this on my xenia for a while, but never worried about it since xenia seems to be ok.

Some specks
    [​IMG]

Blurry but you can see the brown stuff.
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Gonoipora (flowerpot) is very hard to keep. Mine died and after reading about them and doing research, I'll never buy one again. Xenia is easy to keep. What are your parameters? That's where I would start. Xenia tends to be sensitive to alkalinity and drastic changes in ph. As for the brown spots, it looks like an algae problem. A lttle red slime that's probably smothering. Lack of oxygen (low water current) is part of the cause for RSA.. I'd worry about those after your water test. Unfortunately your goniopora will probably die. I've heard from highly experienced reefers on 3reef having trouble with them.

1 person likes this.
  4. totter0817

totter0817 Purple Spiny Lobster

The first ever tank I had, and the first LFS I went to sold me a gonoipora as my first coral. it never opened up, so after 3 weeks I took it back to the store- and he didnt even give me partial credit for the thing. I was so mad I never went back to that LFS again. He got $60 from me, then probably turned around and sold for $60 again once I took it back.:angry: Needless to say, I won't be buying that coral again for a long time

5. IBMGeek

The flowerpot has most of the bottom gone so im not too worried about that one. I have had the xenia with the brown spot for about 6-7 months. Its not dying I just think its infected with something. I added the pic of the flowerpot because its the same brown stuff on the xenia.

6. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Its flatworm I think! ........

7. IBMGeek

I thought flatworms only grew on acropora :confused: I certaintly hope its not flatworms :uhoh2:

Ill see if i can get a closeup pic tommorow, I mean later on today:zzzz::snore: (im in eastcoast so it 2:18 AM)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  8. Click Here!

9. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Looks like a form of dinoflagelettes. Grows kinda like diatoms or slime. A better pic would help. That doesnt look like flatworms.

10. Reefdiver72

Reefdiver72 Feather Duster

the life of a gonipora aka flowerpot is 6 months in our tanks on an average with perfect conditions from what I can tell with all the research I have done on them. Kind of sad they take them out of the ocean and let them die in 6 months.

11. IBMGeek