Sick wrasse?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by reddog, May 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reddog

reddog Bristle Worm

I have a six line wrasse that seems sick.When I got home today he was knowhere to be found.Upon further inspection I found him laying in a hole in the LR.Now he has been a normally very active fish since adding him 2 weeks ago, and has never laid down while the lights are on.I wasnt able to get a good look at him so I fed a little to try and coax him out and it worked.He fed a little but seems "jerky" or "twitchy" and the backs of his eyes seem clouded.He is out and swimming now but seems off.
    Any suggestions?I am 5 days away from having my hopital tank so I dont have that option right away...

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Check your water quality and is their another fish that may be stressing him out? Cloudy eyes could be the result of elevated nitrates or low dissolved oxygen in your water!
    Good luck

4. reddog

reddog Bristle Worm

Well the water is ok. No ammonia,nitrites,some nitrates around 20 ppm but im days away from a skimmer.P.H,salinity e.t.c. is ok.I have had suspition of either the yellow tang or the the yellow tailed damsel bullying him but i have not seen anything and they seem to get along when the lights are on.He seemed to have tail and fin bites for a while but they cleared.should I do 20% water change and try and get the nitrates down,would 20 ppm
    be high enough to cause cloudy eyes?

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

No, 20ppm is just fine for fish. To address the low O2 sat. of the water, how many fish do you have in your tank. And what size tank do you have? Also, without a skimmer, you would need some good surface movement to facilitate oxygen exchange. What kind of water movement do you have in your DT (GPH)?

6. reddog

reddog Bristle Worm

There are 3 fish.One yellow tang,one yellow tail damsel and one wrasse in a 40 gallon tank.Well since i dont have a skimmer yet i have 2 air stones running(i know there not very good for the fish)a fluval and 1 powerhead(none churning the surface but I thought the air stones would do the job)?

7. IHAVEMTS

IHAVEMTS Fire Shrimp

That's a small tank for a tang isnt it

8. Click Here!

9. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

Tangs should not be kept in tanks under 100 gallons. They will stress and die (and take other fish with them as the tank collapses.). You need to return the tang. This should fix the issue with O2. Get a skimmer installed ASAP or aim a jet at the surface to disturb it.

10. reddog

reddog Bristle Worm

The Tang came with the tank as a friend gave me the setup and has been in the tank for well over a year.It was bought in Nevada and i cannot return it.I only added 2 more fish.The damsel seems great.I have not seen the wrasse today.Skimmer goes in saturday.
    I have the air hose setup on the powerhead and two stones running since i got it a month ago.

11. reddog

reddog Bristle Worm

Ok the wrasse is still alive and has spent the last two days laying in the LR(not swimming) and I couldnt really seem him that well.I just got home and he is out and swimming today so I fed and he ate.I can definently see that both his eyes are cloudy with white patches on the backs of his eyes(the part of the eye closest to the gills).
    He seems to be feeling better but the eyes are worrying me and Im not sure he can see well.