Sick Panther Grouper

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by chetrod, Jul 19, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chetrod

chetrod Peppermint Shrimp

I'm worried about my Grouper this would be number two had him for over 6 months now. The other day he must of knocked a rock over and it had to land on him. Now it is not eating and swimming ok but not great. I guess I wouldn't either if a rock landed on me. It is breathing normal but has white spots on it now not sure if it was from the injury or something else. What would the pros here do with him?:confused: :( :mad: :bomb:

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Aqua World Clif

Aqua World Clif Plankton

Sorry to hear about him! The white spots are quite possibly "ich" - the common disease that is found on fish that is brought about by (usually) high stress levels. You may want to think about a few things such as tank size, fellow inhabitants, and decor.

What size tank do you have? A good rule of thumb would be 1" of fish per gallon of water. That may be hindered by an overbearing amount of live rock and/or decorations in the tank however. How much room is there for your Grouper to swim? Panther groupers can get quite large; and therefore, need a good deal of room to swim around in.

If you don't have corals and sensitive inverts (corals, anemones, etc.) which I'm guessing you don't with a grouper, you could try treating him with copper based medications for "Ich".

The rockfall event may have had something to do with the sickness of your Panther Grouper; however unless it was a massive injury, the chances are slim that it caused the illness. It could be simply coincidence or other factors.

Let me know how he's doing in a few days or after you use medications.

~ Clifton

4. chetrod

I wish I had a better camera. The white spots are actually looks like scales missing Although groupers dont really have scales, that I know off, that's what it looks like I am going to do a water change and quarantine him 7/21 so that I can medicate him. But I know its not ich I had that problem before. These white spots are way to big. Looks like he is shedding.

5. chetrod

update....... since I guess the grouper was weak the snails were eating him alive so had to quarantine the poor guy. I put some mylafix in the water. Does anyone here know if that stuff works?

6. Antagonist

Antagonist Bristle Worm

yeah Melafix is good didnt even hurt my inverts, well didnt know i had any until the popped out lol

7. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Hello chet, that guy who said ick didn't look at the pics, he went off the "white spots" comment I guess, anyway, with that much damage to the fishes slime coat I would definitely be adding Product called "Stress Coat" or something similar. Also, along with the Melefix, get a product (I always have it on hand) called Marine-Max. It is all natural enzymes and bacteria that boost the immune system of fish to prevent disease. All three can be used in conjunction and I am sure he will recover.